40557 - Defence of Hoth

cardensb

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/defence-of-hoth-40557

"Coming Soon" - listed on 12/6/2021 on the official store site.

This battle pack sized set has three unnamed rebel troopers in cold weather uniforms and includes a few build-able weapon systems used on the perimeter of Echo Base. Noticeably lacking are the backpacks we normally get with hoth troopers and the cannons on tripods lack any sort of cabling to what I assume are power supplies. The rotating laser blaster cannon is non-firing too. No stud shooters is a plus though.

• 3 months later...

Well, this little set arrived yesterday and took about 10 minutes to build.  3x figures with different heads provides some nice variety to a defense and the weapons builds were...okay.  I think the best part of it are the two tripod based cannons have tripod legs made of blaster guns so you get 6x blasters plus the 3x rifles.  The laser cannon defense build is flimsy, it falls apart easily due to using a 2x2 disk as the only intended piece to join two 3x3 panels that form the base.  If Lego would have provided one more of the white edge pieces to provide a bit more connection.  The set includes one extra pair of goggles.  Once I get my Hoth themed sets onto a larger display, they will have a home and probably get lost in the shuffle.

Which brings up a question - do you get concerned with mixing similar or same figures from different sets?  What if you decide to sell later? Grouping them on a display may be limiting but in this case, maybe the three are the left flank of the Rebel line.