Seeking information on the most common pieces used in Lego sets. Any idea?

Hi Everyone, I'm a big Lego fan and my son and i have almost 500 sets in different conditions (new, used, built and unknown missing pieces ;-) I would like to know if any of you know what are the top 20 pieces that are most commonly used in sets in the the last 5-10 years. I basically want to buy a bunch of them realizing that i have many missing pieces that need replacements. I know i won't cover all of them but at least i'll use the 80/20 rule to fill many of my missing pieces. Any clue would be highly appreciated. you can email me directly to [email protected] Thanks in advance, Lee

Not entirely sure as to what you mean by "top 20 pieces" seeing as there are too many different sets in existence, all with a variety of parts (obviously). I assume you mean to ask which parts are most common between the widest number of sets?

Basic bricks are always my view of standard pieces (1x2,2x2,2x4, etc). Maybe this catalog on Bricklink can be of some better help for you. I just picked "Gandalf Arrives" as a sample. You can search for any sets you own, then pull up a list of all the known elements in them. Then you can find exactly what you need, rather then just buying up a bunch and hoping for them to work. Hope this helps!

Send a message to Nathan at www.Rebrickable.com He has a great site that deals with LEGO instructions and the pieces needed to build sets. If anyone knew...he would.

Yes without a doubt he has all the information on individual pieces counts with breakdowns by % used, color, etc.

If you want cheap bricks, the most common cheap ones will typically be ones that can be had on a brickwall at a local lego store. People cram tons of them into a cup and pay about 1/10 the price of pick-a-brick on the online store. The nice thing is that you can then hop onto bricklink and order them ala cart without packing your cup yourself.