The new standard size of Minifigure boxes (aka the 30's)

TheOrcKing

If you are curious as to what the new standard sized box that LEGO will start using for the Minifigures line looks like, than check out the attached images.

After blueriderbrick posted about someone finding the Minifigures and some rare polybags at a Five Below store, I did a mapquest search and found my nearest one which was surprisingly close. I go in and immediately find the "Uruk-Hai with Ballista" and "Hogwart's Express" polybag right up front, and Series 9 of the Minifigures further in. Spent a good 2-3 hours I think going through four or so boxes of them smooshing like usual. I had found at least one complete set of sixteen and got seventeen extras. I couldn't buy all the extras I had wanted less I want my wallet to flip me the bird.

Anyway, I have not come across anyone on the net with images for the new standard size elsewhere so I thought to do a quick setup and take some pictures with my cruddy ol' digital camera. The new standard holds 30 minifigures (half the amount of the larger older standard of 60), yields one complete set of characters and basically 14 'extras'. I placed the ratio in another thread but for convenience here it is again.

Series 9 - Box of 30: Minifigure Ratio

1 Waiter

1 Forest Maiden

1 Plumber

1 Hollywood Starlet

1 Roller Derby Girl

1 Fortune Teller

2 Chicken Suit Guys

2 Roman Emperors

2 Judges

2 Mermaids

2 Battle Mechs

2 Mr Good and Evils'

3 Policemen

3 Cyclops'

3 Heroic Knights

3 Alien Avengers

Wow 2-3 hours smooshing definitely paid off for you as you were able to come up with a complete set plus extras, great work! On another note I wonder why Lego decided to change the box size of these collectible minifigures? And yes we do need a Peter Griffin minifig so we can have him throw down with the chicken suit guy lol

That's exactly what I thought soon as I heard about the Chicken-Suit Guy! Just need a Peter Griffin to complete this scene.

Thanks, Rich. I couldn't buy all the extras I had found and wanted. If I had, I would have spent close to $200! I'm fine with spending a little every now & then (more managable for my budget) but can't do that kind of purchase all at once. Still I got a great number of characters, some of which are the 'rare' ones. So it's all good.

I'm not sure why they changed the size of the box. I wonder if retailers complained that it was difficult to display the older and larger boxes, or they weren't that usefull at all. Could also be easier for LEGO to pack a shipping box with the 30's than the 60's. Guess we'll never really know.

Anyway, here are all the ones I found in that one trip.

5 Waiters

1 Forest Maiden

3 Plumbers

1 Hollywood Starlet

1 Roller Derby Girl

1 Fortune Teller

1 Chicken Suit Guy

2 Roman Emperors

1 Judge

2 Mermaids

2 Battle Mechs

1 Mr Good and Evil

3 Policemen

2 Cyclops'

3 Heroic Knights

4 Alien Avengers

When you compare the ratio to my acquired list, I did pretty good on all those Waiters and Plumbers! Actually, I think I cleaned out the store of those! Ha ha! The Roller Derby Girl and Forest Maiden are going to be the rarest ones of the series, I think. I barely found the one Roller Derby Girl at all! She is a cool character afterall, so why not?

The Policeman was the most common one I found. After my smoosh-athon, I came across a little more than ten of him alone! And about eight of the Cyclops.

Yeah you made out really well man, good work! What's ironic is that when I was doing some smooshing the other day at my Five Below I couldn't find any Police Officer's. Maybe I had them in my hand, but simply couldn't tell, who knows. What I did find a lot of was the Mr. Good and Evil.

The Policeman can be odd. His hat has rounded 'points' around the brim (?) of it (odd shape too), a pair of handcuffs, and one 1x2 tile. This may sound a bit strange but a lot of times I have to 'feel' with my nails. My fingers get the basic shapes and whatnot, but the nails can get into those little groves that are specific to certain parts. I have to do this for those handcuffs or the hairpieces on certain characters.

are the minifigs completely disassembled in the bag?

Yes, the pieces are separate. One thing that helps me when I'm starting is to hold the packet by the top and shake it a bit or gently smack it on the side of my leg a few times. It helps to spread out the parts inside.

It helps to know beforehand what parts are unique to specific characters. Also every single mystery bag has these same components: 1 torso, 1 pair of legs, 1 head, 1 1x4 stand with 4 studs across the middle, and 1 pamplet. Just a few have different legs (Mermaid) or torso (Chicken-suit Guy). Since you're feeling blind, try to visualize what the piece is by feel. It might help to feel similiar parts beforehand at home and get used to how those feel with your eyes closed.

This has become almost second nature to me and I am hoping that I'm explaining to where it will help.

I love the Minifigures and want everyone to enjoy them as much as I do!