Jump to content

Technic investment


maestro
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, maestro said:

I was thinking of adding Technic to my investment. Wise?

Sorry I missed out on the orange Porsche. Anything in current line that may do just as well? I do like the white Porsche RSR.

Thanks

Depends on your market. I know in some EU countries (i.e. Germany) Technic can do quite well. However, I've heard lots of complaints from old-time Technic fans that the current sets aren't "technic" enough, so they might not do that well. Personally, of the sets scheduled to retire this year, I only like the very small ones. And while they might do ok percentage wise, I don't invest in $10 sets because the shipping cost is so high relative to the value of the set. I'm sure I'm missing out on one that will do ok (guessing concrete mixer) but that's ok.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, maestro said:

I was thinking of adding Technic to my investment. Wise?

Sorry I missed out on the orange Porsche. Anything in current line that may do just as well? I do like the white Porsche RSR.

Thanks

Walmart in US has had the Porsche 911 RSR 42096 on perma discount at $119.99

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing I like about technic is the retirement schedule. The flagships are pretty predictable.

Cranes & semi trucks have always done well. 4x4 have not done as well. Bugatti will be interesting, I don't think it will do as well as the orange 911. 911 rsr should do fine at the buy in. 

Edited by marcandre
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, maestro said:

I was thinking of adding Technic to my investment. Wise?

Sorry I missed out on the orange Porsche. Anything in current line that may do just as well? I do like the white Porsche RSR.

Thanks

Have you sorted out your postage issues? As Technic sets are a pain to ship, as most when packaged /insured will be 3/4kg and over £100. Plus the main sets required separate boxes, ideally double walled to avoid damage when shipping.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, BrickLover80 said:

Depends on your market. I know in some EU countries (i.e. Germany) Technic can do quite well. However, I've heard lots of complaints from old-time Technic fans that the current sets aren't "technic" enough, so they might not do that well. Personally, of the sets scheduled to retire this year, I only like the very small ones. And while they might do ok percentage wise, I don't invest in $10 sets because the shipping cost is so high relative to the value of the set. I'm sure I'm missing out on one that will do ok (guessing concrete mixer) but that's ok.

really ought to reconsider your strategy or at least make an exception for Grave Digger...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

really ought to reconsider your strategy or at least make an exception for Grave Digger...

I most certainly will do that but that one won't go for a while. I was mostly thinking about the current retiring wave, which I really dislike. Except the mini-claas xerion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, BrickLover80 said:

I most certainly will do that but that one won't go for a while. I was mostly thinking about the current retiring wave, which I really dislike. Except the mini-claas xerion.

it actually disappeared for spots (such a HUGE fanbase)...unfortunately once right when I took the kids to Monster Jam (had to make a trip to the local LEGO store [only stock]).  Anyway you're right that it's still a year or two away...and the $14 price point is going to come and go a few more times.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think it really depends on your country, they do just fine on the Swiss market. The branded vehicles tends to go faster than non-branded flagships. 

I always ship big sets by priority here so it arrives next day and thankfully no major issues so far. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...