Star Wars Minifigures - are the level of new minifigures overwhelming you too?

sadowsk1

I was looking at the boxes of the upcoming wave of Star Wars sets and it seems like a lot of the figures except for some battle droids all have the 'new' label above them on the box artwork. I enjoy the minifigures they are coming out with and the level of detail they are incorporating into them, but does it drive anyone else nuts that there are so many coming out? Does Lego have their finger on what drives the sale of their Star Wars sets so no matter what they produce if they throw a couple of 'new' minifigures people will buy it up even if the set is virtually identical to it's predecessors?

I love having a great variety of characters. Some of the character inclusions make no sense though at times, like this year's "A-Wing Starfighter". Why is Han Solo and General Ackbar in there? The pilot is neccessary, but why those other two? I'm dumbfounded and it feels like they just stuck em in there to justify the price or couldn't think of anything else. That set should be around $20, not $25. Instead of the other two minifigures, they could have put a mechanic or repair droid or something that relates to the ship.

I love having a great variety of characters. Some of the character inclusions make no sense though at times, like this year's "A-Wing Starfighter". Why is Han Solo and General Ackbar in there? The pilot is neccessary, but why those other two? I'm dumbfounded and it feels like they just stuck em in there to justify the price or couldn't think of anything else. That set should be around $20, not $25.

Instead of the other two minifigures, they could have put a mechanic or repair droid or something that relates to the ship.

I think the short answer is just that Lego knows marketing, and they realize that perhaps these "iconic" ship sets that have been remade multiple times wouldn't sell as well without some unique/exclusive figures. They have to offer some value to the longtime collectors as well as the new, younger fans.

Anyway, the good thing is, by the time we have 9 movies, plus the five/six years of Clone Wars material, there should be fewer rehashes going forward...