Customs charges

maestro

• 2 weeks later...

So I contacted buyer in UK to ask if they received the MF HH I sold them and they said they had just received a letter from customs charging them to pay 25 pounds. The buyer has asked me to refund this amount from the sale so they can pay the customs charge and receive the set

I would really appreciate advice on this. I only have 3 or 4 feedback comments from buyers and I don't want to receive negative feedback. Also, HH is a fabulous set and I didn't exactly overprice it either on Buy it Now.

It is generally expected that the buyer is responsible for custom charges unless otherwise stated. Personally I don't think it is fair to expect the seller to pay the customs fees but if you are trying to gain feedback you might have to eat this one. The alternative is to ask the buyer to send it back at your cost. In any case, take this as a learning experience and make it clear in your terms next time.

1 hour ago, Huskers1236 said:

I've had buyers try to pull this with me and I've politely told them that the buyer is responsible for his import fees.  Let it be their learning experience, not yours.  I also remind them of all of the other fees that I have had to incur for said shipment (taxes/paypal/bricklink/ebay/etc)

4 hours ago, maestro said:

So I contacted buyer in UK to ask if they received the MF HH I sold them and they said they had just received a letter from customs charging them to pay 25 pounds. The buyer has asked me to refund this amount from the sale so they can pay the customs charge and receive the set

And it can't be a surprise for anyone in the UK that ordering from the EU comes with strings attached. It's the price of getting their empire back. 😄

17 minutes ago, BrickLover80 said:

And it can't be a surprise for anyone in the UK that ordering from the EU comes with strings attached. It's the price of getting their empire back. 😄

Thanks for this. I do agree with you. Is there anything I should have written on the eBay listing to inform them of possible customs?

4 hours ago, coelian said:

It is generally expected that the buyer is responsible for custom charges unless otherwise stated. Personally I don't think it is fair to expect the seller to pay the customs fees but if you are trying to gain feedback you might have to eat this one. The alternative is to ask the buyer to send it back at your cost. In any case, take this as a learning experience and make it clear in your terms next time.

Agree. I am concerned about getting poor feedback. Where would I write the “clear in your terms” aspect in the listing?

2 minutes ago, maestro said:

Agree. I am concerned about getting poor feedback. Where would I write the “clear in your terms” aspect in the listing?

For my Bricklink store, under my International shipping area, I have it stated that the buyer is responsible for Import fees, and that I won't alter package values for them, as that is another question you'll get quite frequently as they are trying to dodge the fees.  Trouble is, while probably being illegal, if there is a problem, you are now only eligible to get the lowered amount refunded to you in case of lost/stolen/damaged package.  

5 hours ago, Huskers1236 said:

For my Bricklink store, under my International shipping area, I have it stated that the buyer is responsible for Import fees, and that I won't alter package values for them, as that is another question you'll get quite frequently as they are trying to dodge the fees.  Trouble is, while probably being illegal, if there is a problem, you are now only eligible to get the lowered amount refunded to you in case of lost/stolen/damaged package.  

Years ago I set up a Bricklink store but have never used it. When I do I will note your good advice thanks. Is there such a place to write similar on eBay? Or is it necessary? You make an excellent point re insurance