34 Year old man-child here!

Hello all, I was lucky enough to stumble upon this great site after looking up some lego sets now that my 5 and 6 year olds are beginning to take an interest in it. This is a delight to me, because I've been wanting to revisit the days I built with lego bricks as a child myself. When my kids were babies I just let them play with the cheap mega blocks, but now that they are old enough to appreciate real legos, I'm ready to go all in. Personally I don't have an epic collection history with the brand. My parents didn't buy me a whole lot, but enough to keep me busy. My fondest memories are of a lego passenger plane I was given one Christmas in the early 1980's, and a couple of the smaller castle sets later on. Castle was always my favorite; I dug through this website until I found the one I remember the most fondly, it was the Robin Hood-esque Forestmen's Crossing set. The bridge always stood out to me for whatever reason. Anyway, I'm glad to see that the set isn't all that rare or expensive and maybe I can buy it again to rebuild and rekindle some of those memories. The other thing I noticed is how much Lego uses licenses now. I don't remember any of that in the 1980's. But I guess there is alot of money in it. My kids are fired up for the Star Wars sets, the Lord of the Rings and Monster Fighter stuff looks cool to me. I'm definitely not a collector and don't know how much valuable input I would be able to share around here as far as that goes, but I appreciate the resources provided. I've already learned so much, and I know the basic value of sets now so I won't get ripped off on EBAY by that guy(s) who marks everything up 300%. Anyway, I can't wait to meet some of you and hope to talk more about this fun hobby! Josh

Its because the title said "man-child"...

:-)

Congrats on your level three by the way. :D How many posts do you need?

I think you need 250 posts for each level up to 500 posts.

Example: Level 2: 250 or more.

Level 3: 500 or more.

I don't know how many you need for level 4. 1,000?

Anyways, Congratulations Comicblast! (:

Its because the title said "man-child"...

:-)

Congrats on your level three by the way. :D How many posts do you need?I think you need 250 posts for each level up to 500 posts.

Thanks, everyone! I think that Darth Lego is right about Level 2-3, but for level 4, I have no idea. stephen_rockefeller, do you know?

I had the Forestmen's Crossing set as well, although I think that set was from the late 80's.....either that or it lasted awhile because I got it for my birthday when I was in Kindergarten, which would have been 1990. In any case, yes Lego has decided to capitalize on some brand names within the past ten years or so. Star Wars is really popular and has some good models, but I'm not too keen on any of the others. I would say grab whatever Monster Fighters sets you can before they disappear.

I think you need 250 posts for each level up to 500 posts.

Thanks, everyone! I think that Darth Lego is right about Level 2-3, but for level 4, I have no idea. stephen_rockefeller, do you know?Yep.

Level 2: 250 posts

Level 3: 500 posts

Level 4: 1,000 posts

Level 5: ?

I've no idea if there even is a Level 5, but who knows. Even Ed is at Level 4.

I had the Forestmen's Crossing set as well, although I think that set was from the late 80's.....either that or it lasted awhile because I got it for my birthday when I was in Kindergarten, which would have been 1990. In any case, yes Lego has decided to capitalize on some brand names within the past ten years or so. Star Wars is really popular and has some good models, but I'm not too keen on any of the others. I would say grab whatever Monster Fighters sets you can before they disappear.

Yeah the Forestmen set I remember being a little older when I got it, maybe around 9 or 10. I had that and one of the really small gray castle sets. I had always wanted the bigger castles but never got them. The newer castle sets look a lot more detailed and architecturally complex, but the old ones still have that iconic look.

Is the Monster Fighters collection on its way out? The mansion is so expensive, but I really want to get that set if nothing else to build with my son.

The entire line except the haunted house is strongly rumored to be gone by the end of the summer.

Interesting. From a non-investors (builders) standpoint I think I'd enjoy building the train as well. Maybe I'll grab that one too, if they are indeed being retired.

Interesting. From a non-investors (builders) standpoint I think I'd enjoy building the train as well. Maybe I'll grab that one too, if they are indeed being retired.

Yeah they seem like fun builds and will probably get more expensive once they retire. I don't have any yet and I find myself on the verge of picking one up every time I walk into Walmart....and the train was on sale too. I just can't do it though because I'm out of room for models.

Welcome to the site from another brand-newbie! (36 here) I loved the forestmen! I had several of the castle sets from that era, and had about seven forestmen minifigs, but never the big hideout. Black Falcon's Fortress was the biggest set I owned at the time. It's always funny how huge things like playsets seem as a kid, then when you see them as an adult they're tiny.

Yeah, it's amazing how tiny some pieces really are. Looking at them again they are even smaller. Maybe it's because as adults, our hands are so much bigger now. By the way, welcome to the forum! Glad to see someone else who liked the Forestmen. I never had a huge set as a kid either. But I always got creative with what I had. It's nice to know that as an adult, I can splurge and buy the sets I want, though.