Went to the Lego Store Today....

Today I went to the Lego Store! Spent 2 hours at the Pick a Brick Wall trying to fit pieces into cups. ;-) Scored a Large Pick a Brick and Small Pick a Brick cup for a total of $26 including tax. In it were over 1000 pieces which comes out to be $0.025 per piece!!! I need them to make the 10189 Taj Mahal through the method of Bricklinking. Learned from the Lego employee that they (the employees of Lego) are NOT allowed to buy Legos to sell them later on since Lego employees were buying all the sets (he said in particular the Green Grocer) once they heard that they wouldn't be getting any more shipments of it. Apparently Lego employees would buy all of them...then sell them 6 months later for double. Right now I wish I could get the Green Grocer for double MSRP.... He also said that the Fire Brigade would EOL in the next 3-4 months, but I don't trust him. :) Forgot to ask him about the Death Star, though.

Today I went to the Lego Store! Spent 2 hours at the Pick a Brick Wall trying to fit pieces into cups. ;-)

Scored a Large Pick a Brick and Small Pick a Brick cup for a total of $26 including tax. In it were over 1000 pieces which comes out to be $0.025 per piece!!! I need them to make the 10189 Taj Mahal through the method of Bricklinking.

Learned from the Lego employee that they (the employees of Lego) are NOT allowed to buy Legos to sell them later on since Lego employees were buying all the sets (he said in particular the Green Grocer) once they heard that they wouldn't be getting any more shipments of it. Apparently Lego employees would buy all of them...then sell them 6 months later for double. Right now I wish I could get the Green Grocer for double MSRP....

He also said that the Fire Brigade would EOL in the next 3-4 months, but I don't trust him. :) Forgot to ask him about the Death Star, though.

Haha I would've been doing the same thing! And yes, NEVER trust Lego employees haha, the Fire Brigade and Live Star will never retire ;)

They "Greatly discourage the buying of sets for reselling", to quote the employee.

People are discouraged from speeding, but do they still do it? Yes they do. It's the same way with this. On a sidenote, Is TLC starting to pick up on people like us who invest and resell Lego sets? Even their own employees are doing it.

Today I went to the Lego Store! Spent 2 hours at the Pick a Brick Wall trying to fit pieces into cups. ;-)

Scored a Large Pick a Brick and Small Pick a Brick cup for a total of $26 including tax. In it were over 1000 pieces which comes out to be $0.025 per piece!!! I need them to make the 10189 Taj Mahal through the method of Bricklinking.

Learned from the Lego employee that they (the employees of Lego) are NOT allowed to buy Legos to sell them later on since Lego employees were buying all the sets (he said in particular the Green Grocer) once they heard that they wouldn't be getting any more shipments of it. Apparently Lego employees would buy all of them...then sell them 6 months later for double. Right now I wish I could get the Green Grocer for double MSRP....

He also said that the Fire Brigade would EOL in the next 3-4 months, but I don't trust him. :) Forgot to ask him about the Death Star, though.

Okay, so I thought it would be cool to bricklink the Eiffel Tower, but are there other options than the bricklink site itself. Maybe I'm just not getting it well enough but it just doesn't seem very friendly, and how in the world do you effectively consolidate your purchases to minimize shipping costs. I keep doing rough estimates, and I'm spending so much that I might as well just buy the whole friggin thing. Is there something I'm missing - or is bricklinking and building things from the ground up just that time consuming and research intensive?

Okay, so I thought it would be cool to bricklink the Eiffel Tower, but are there other options than the bricklink site itself. Maybe I'm just not getting it well enough but it just doesn't seem very friendly, and how in the world do you effectively consolidate your purchases to minimize shipping costs. I keep doing rough estimates, and I'm spending so much that I might as well just buy the whole friggin thing. Is there something I'm missing - or is bricklinking and building things from the ground up just that time consuming and research intensive?

Yeah, bricklinking is tough. I bought 5 pieces this past week on the site and it took forever to find a vendor who had those pieces in their inventory. If I didn't have the patience, I would have easily spent more on shipping by buying from different people.

They "Greatly discourage the buying of sets for reselling", to quote the employee.

"Greatly discourage"? Oh, let me guess. That's basically a "slap on the wrist", right?

Anywho, that's some high scoring points there! A thousand or so parts for only $26, you should feel mighty proud of that one!

Well 400 of them were little 1x1....

Perhaps, but don't sell yourself too short. Especially when you consider how much you would have had to pay for all those parts from Bricklink! You remind me of how I REALLY need to find the nearest Lego store and go crazy on those Pick-a-Brick things! I'd cram as many thousands of parts as I could! They would have to DRAG me out of there to get me to leave! Ha ha!

If Lego gave their employees a raise, it probably wouldn't happen as often. Hint hint!

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, "Say no more!" ;-)

Haha I would've been doing the same thing! And yes, NEVER trust Lego employees haha, the Fire Brigade and Live Star will never retire ;)

You are actually going to need the Fire Brigade to put out all the fires in your wallet to make up for all the money you've lost on stockpiling Death Stars. I predict the DS will be around AT LEAST 5 more years because people like us keep buying them.

Wait, you're terminating me from my minimum wage retail position for reselling a product which I legally purchased using my employee discount? I assume that would be TLG's only recourse, right? Nice PR move Lego.

It still amazes me that people actually believe anything they hear from an employee at the LEGO store. Or possibly it's that people only hear what they want and the message is changed a little like playing telephone. But to be clear, selling LEGO products on your own as a LEGO employee is not "greatly discouraged", it is straight up not allowed. There are people within the company who research accounts and actively look for any employees who are trying to resell. If you are caught doing it, you don't get a warning, you're fired, the end (you sign a contract when you're hired saying that you won't resell). Could you get around this? Sure, you could buy things and have someone else sell them for you, but the stores also track your purchases. Couple all of that with purchasing limits and it would very difficult to turn that into a very profitable business. The main thing you have to keep in mind is that the majority of the store employees are part time workers who aren't making a lot of money. Most of them don't buy anywhere near their limit of products since they don't have the money to do so. If these people suddenly start spending their limits, that would get a lot of attention really quickly. Lastly, these rules have existed for far longer than the retirement of the Green Grocer.

You are actually going to need the Fire Brigade to put out all the fires in your wallet to make up for all the money you've lost on stockpiling Death Stars. I predict the DS will be around AT LEAST 5 more years because people like us keep buying them.

I don't see too many people on here buying DSs. To be honest I can only remember seeing one maybe two people on here saying they bought one recently.......I think the majority of us bought ours years ago thinking it would be long gone by now.