2021 Olympics

Voltron

Thought this deserved its own thread so doesn't clog up other ones.

USA Basketball lost once again, this time to France. Will be interesting to see how they turn this around. Too many people making excuses for the team when they really be playing better, seems to me that:

1. Team selection was based on a "shooting" team, as they expected to just 3 pointer the opposition to death, this obviously hasn't been working.

2. People saying that US aren't playing there best players, but that's up for players to choose to play for the team. Too many just want to play for NBA and don't care about Olympics.

3. No excuse for team chemistry, as players once again choose not to play in subsequent Olympics.

Hopefully this will be a lessons learned and the NBA can become more defensive like it was in the 90's.

3 hours ago, Voltron said:

Hopefully this will be a lessons learned and the NBA can become more defensive like it was in the 90's.

If the US ends up towards the bottom and/or not getting medals this year, I just can't see why a bunch of entitled rich NBA players want to be a part of that in 2024.  Why risk damaging their NBA images by getting their asses handed to them by a bunch of dudes who are shorter than them??? :P

Every year of the olympics, I wish we could watch another countries coverage of the games. I had the pleasure of watching the Sochi winter games while in Germany and it was such a more pleasant experience than watching the NBC, watered-down version we get presented here in the US. 

Back to this year, I guess we will take a Gold Metal in fencing in exchange for a USA BB loss to France. The "firsts" are probably my favorite part, the unexpected wins, like the 13-year old Japanese skateboarder winning Gold.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CosmicSpeed said:

Every year of the olympics, I wish we could watch another countries coverage of the games. I had the pleasure of watching the Sochi winter games while in Germany and it was such a more pleasant experience than watching the NBC, watered-down version we get presented here in the US. 

Back to this year, I guess we will take a Gold Metal in fencing in exchange for a USA BB loss to France. The "firsts" are probably my favorite part, the unexpected wins, like the 13-year old Japanese skateboarder winning Gold.

It's been fun to watch the skateboarding.  At one point last night, with the women's skateboarding, you had two 13 year olds on the top of the leaderboard, and a 35 year old in third.  It's all about skill.

My biggest issue has been the constant commercial interruption on the NBC Sports app.  We've been trying to watching Surfing live, and every 2 minutes they cut away for a 15 second commercial.  I get it, but it's annoying because it's live coverage, so you miss important discussions or important pieces of an athlete's performance.

On 7/26/2021 at 6:15 AM, CosmicSpeed said:

I did use a VPN and watched Canada's broadcasts for the Vancouer winter olympics. Being in Seattle and effectively told by NBC, "You will not watch live. East coast must watch first. We don't care if you're in the same time zone as Vancouver," really pissed me off.

18 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

My biggest issue has been the constant commercial interruption on the NBC Sports app.  We've been trying to watching Surfing live, and every 2 minutes they cut away for a 15 second commercial.  I get it, but it's annoying because it's live coverage, so you miss important discussions or important pieces of an athlete's performance.

This, but for us just plain over the air coverage. I wish I could break down how much time is spent for actual sports, opposed to NBC self-promoting their Peacock App (I am NOT going to get another streaming service), advertising the NBC affiliate stations you can find the "other" sports outside of the "dirty casual" sports of Swimming, Gymnastics and then Track & Field and then STILL finding allocated time to run Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, while then also showing the past days events of which we already pretty much know the outcome because of their "reporting"

Rinse and Repeat for the '22 Winter Games in Beijing

• Like 1

I agree with this mentality 100%. Too much of the primetime coverage from 8pm to midnight is spent on introductions or hosts talking or the Olympic athletes talking to their parents on the phone. I just want to see most of the finals events in a concise format (maybe 1 or 1.5 hours long).

The current 4 hour format is good for background watching while you do other tasks but that's about it. 

• Like 1