Will Target Canada sell Lego merchandise?

Guest AnnexBrett

Guest AnnexBrett

With the new big box retailer Target just about to put its footprint into Canada, the question is up?! Will these stores have Lego sets for sale and will the famous variety/discounts/price matching be available to us? Or it is going to be the same $%*ty selection/pricing here in Canada than Walmart and the others have...?!

Guest ph4tb0i

Rich: Apparently it's taken them a decade to clear all the political hurdles, but tbh I don't see them being successful up here as they've already said they're going to price according to "canadian standards" (e.***. 30% markup on US lego pricing). I'm crossing my fingers I'm wrong though.

I didn't even know that Target wasn't already in Canada. Shows what I know.....

Count me in on not knowing. I'm not sure how a Target there would go about business. I would think that they would want to keep their pricematch policy. The online part of that may get a bit tricky. They may pricematch with Amazon or Wal-Mart but it would have to be the Canadian one, I'm guessing. I really don't know at this point.

Rich: Apparently it's taken them a decade to clear all the political hurdles, but tbh I don't see them being successful up here as they've already said they're going to price according to "canadian standards" (e.***. 30% markup on US lego pricing).

I'm crossing my fingers I'm wrong though.

Yeah that 30% markup that you all have to deal with is horrible IMO. Hopefully this won't be the case once Target opens up there. As you said, fingers crossed ;)

Guest ph4tb0i

Yeah that 30% markup that you all have to deal with is horrible IMO. Hopefully this won't be the case once Target opens up there. As you said, fingers crossed ;)

That's why most of us close to the border buy from the US, ship it to a warehouse and do a pickup. It's still substantial savings, not to mention that it allows us into a market that's still reasonably untapped (e.***. I can put a Green Grocer on Craigslist and I would be the only one selling it...)

Wife's given up on me filling the trunk up with Lego everytime I'm down there.. haha...

That's why most of us close to the border buy from the US, ship it to a warehouse and do a pickup. It's still substantial savings, not to mention that it allows us into a market that's still reasonably untapped (e.g. I can put a Green Grocer on Craigslist and I would be the only one selling it...)

Wife's given up on me filling the trunk up with Lego everytime I'm down there.. haha...

Trunk?The last time down I drove my Avalanche and I had to de-box and re-box so it would all fit. :) Good thing I only have two kids or the third one would have had to hold onto the roof rack!! Maybe next time we should take the Mini Cooper. hehe.

More then likely they will just cut and paste the already common prices for sets. If they put them any lower, all would be gone in a very short time. Obviously that is a good thing for Target, but not for everyone else. Walmart/TRU/Official Lego stores would have to reconsider prices, and that is not going to happen unfortunately. I doubt Target will be providing any major discounts to us Canadians simply because of the already inflated prices. Apparently we are willing to pay 30% more for our parts, and if that is the case, why would they lower prices?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ph4tb0i

Just came back from Target in Canada. What a disappointing experience. It's basically a repainted Zellers with the same pricing as Zellers (for my non-Canadian friends, Zellers was a discount chain that Target acquired and rebranded.) All they have are "common" sets that are priced at LEGO Shop at Home Canadian pricing. Really really disappointed. Can't wait to go back stateside.

Just came back from Target in Canada. What a disappointing experience. It's basically a repainted Zellers with the same pricing as Zellers (for my non-Canadian friends, Zellers was a discount chain that Target acquired and rebranded.)

All they have are "common" sets that are priced at LEGO Shop at Home Canadian pricing. Really really disappointed. Can't wait to go back stateside.

That is disappointing, but it lives up to my previous expectations of Target Canada. My city isn`t getting one anytime soon, according to the "upcoming" list, so at least I won`t have to be reminded of every time I walk in.

I'm in canada and we have a target opening in my town soon. (greater Vancouver area) I would expect their pricing on lego to be similar to other Canadian retailers, which is now confirmed by others who have already posted regarding their visits to Canadian locations already open. It seems like some people think all Canadian retails are united in higher lego retail prices just because they can? Fact is all Canadian merchandise is priced higher no matter what the product is, as Canadian import taxes and other costs to Canadian companies are through the roof and won't be changing any time soon. So target Canada doesn't really have a choice. I work in the golf equipment wholesale industry, and the same applies to us with our canadian customers who compete against USA online prices etc. It's tough. The good news about having Target in Canada is the opportunity to get a Red Card and save 5% automatically (ive already applied for mine), and it also gives another buying option and possible opportunity for clearance or sale items that may not exist otherwise. Could lead to some healthy competition down the road from competitors. I'm not expecting any miracles but it can't be a bad thing in my mind. I'll still be purchasing most items across the line or from Amazon UK or Amazon.com, but there might be some opportunity in the future from target Canada! We'll find out I guess :)

• 1 month later...

Living in the GTA (Toronto, CAN)...there's 6-8 Targets opening easily, 1 is just 10mins from me. Couple weeks back I did picked up the Hulk Carrier Breakout sets for 35% off (30% off + 5% red card), advertised special. Cheapest I could find north of the boarder. Yes, hopefully there's competition and better deals. Would love to try and do a Lego run to the US one day :)