Should every new Lego set have the seal strips / transparent tape?

I just started collecting/investing and do not have a lot of knowledge about Lego yet. I have bought Lego mainly from private parties(persons). I see that some sets do not have the 'transparent tape' around them.

Should all lego sets have them or is it not for all sets. For example not for the smaller, or cheaper, or older ones. The sets that do not have the 'transparent tape' look like they have never been opened, but I am not sure if this is true.

Could someone give me some kind of guideline, or a website where I can find which (if any) sets should not have the 'transparent tape' (I am guessing the transparent tape is the same as 'the seals'?)?

And is there more to tell about how the transparent tape should look like? Is it with specific number on it or something like that?

Thank you in advance!

Not all sets have the transparent seals, especially the older ones.  I am not certain, but seals were used all the way back to 2000 at the very least.  Boxes have changed over the years. Many boxes actually had a opening cover with a clear see thru lid that exposed all the parts.  These were my favorite boxes.  Some of the newer boxes have no seals at all.  Many small boxes have no seals, they are a solid box with perforations.  The numbers are production numbers and will tell you when a set was made.  

Interestingly, both Bonsai and Flowers used thumb-punch boxes.  I've never seen that method of sealing used on a set that large.  Makes me wonder if they are going to transition everything to that style.  It would definitely solve the question of whether a box's seals had been cut.   I can imagine this in response to one of the big box stores like Target or Walmart complaining to Lego about minimizing fraud returns (cutting the seals and taking the figs out, then returning as 'new').

• Like 1

Interestingly, both Bonsai and Flowers used thumb-punch boxes.  I've never seen that method of sealing used on a set that large.  Makes me wonder if they are going to transition everything to that style.  It would definitely solve the question of whether a box's seals had been cut.   I can imagine this in response to one of the big box stores like Target or Walmart complaining to Lego about minimizing fraud returns (cutting the seals and taking the figs out, then returning as 'new').
Thumb punch boxes (or whatever you want to call them) with no tape seals are just as easy to open and reseal. Just need a hairdryer and glue.

I tried it once on a small set (Mandalorian battle pack) that I was opening and building for my personal collection. Didn't take long at all to heat up the glued flap to allow it to be opened without box damage.

I have also tried it with taped seals and obviously those can be opened and resealed with the original seals just as easily.

Once again, these were on sets that I was keeping for myself... don't want anyone to get their panties in a bunch or anything.

24 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:

Thumb punch boxes (or whatever you want to call them) with no tape seals are just as easy to open and reseal. Just need a hairdryer and glue.

I bought a battle pack on clearance that this had happened to. Didn't realize it until I went to list it months later and it didn't sound right when I was holding. Weighed it and it was definitely off so I opened it to find the plastic parts bags filled with a variety of garbage. Luckily only a $7 loss, but now I am definitely more aware of this when picking up boxes at the store. 

• Sad 2

Thanks for all of your reactions. But i can conclude:

- There is not a list of which sets should contain seals.

- If someone really wants to swindle you, it is almost impossible to detect.

Are these (dissapointing) conclusions correct?

I tried it once on a small set (Mandalorian battle pack) that I was opening and building for my personal collection. Didn't take long at all to heat up the glued flap to allow it to be opened without box damage.

I have also tried it with taped seals and obviously those can be opened and resealed with the original seals just as easily.

Once again, these were on sets that I was keeping for myself... don't want anyone to get their panties in a bunch or anything.

No worries i reported you to the lego police.
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

How about sets 21043 and 21044? I want to buy them from someone and he says they have never been openen, but do not contain seals. Is that correct?

And is there a website where I can see which sets should be sealed and which sets not?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2021 at 8:30 PM, $20 on joe vs dan said:

On large sets, LEGO needs to go back to the flap w/ clear display...not only is it pretty darn cool...but can visually inspect the inside contents for tampering

I doubt they'll do this because they're trying to eliminate all plastic - they're switching from plastic to paper bags for the pieces.