4207 - City Garage

redeemed763

Guest TabbyBoy

This set is still available at UK retails but not discounted much.  Due to poor aftermarket performance with CITY sets, I'm passing unless it's 2/3 off or less.

This was available at TRU for a long time so it wouldn't surprise me if it take awhile, over here at least, to make substantial gains.  That said, there's nothing quite like it for a City builder and if you got in on them when they were on sale at TRU you got in on them pretty cheap.

I see this as similar to Public Transport, which is a pretty cool set. It was still available at TRU (in Canada) long, long after it sold out at S&****...I picked up two almost a year after moving to sold out status.  I was able to sell for a decent profit this spring. The garage will have some value, but I was at my TRU five times in the last month (for Bricktober) and there are still several on the shelves. If I see a nice rise in prices or a good discount, I'll definitely bite, but I won't stretch my budget just to get it in my portfolio.

I bought about 6 of these from TRU for about $70 I think. I was happy to dump all of them for 110-120 over the past few months at a painfully slow rate during my "dump all city" initiative. Which means city will now do great for you guys.

Wow, these things have only been gone from TRU for about 2 months.  I think they'll do great next year.

I bought about 6 of these from TRU for about $70 I think. I was happy to dump all of them for 110-120 over the past few months at a painfully slow rate during my "dump all city" initiative. Which means city will now do great for you guys.

Part of the problem is that this set is still available at some retailers (at least in Canada, and maybe also at some really out of the way TRUs in the US?) so no real growth has been possible yet. The last City Garage did quite well, so if you had held out another year I think you could have gotten more like $150-$170...but if you needed the funds available for other sets...

Yeah, I certainly didn't sell them at an ideal time.  I think $140 by next Christmas is possible.  I just don't have much faith that this set or any of my of city sets are particularly good investments, so I've been getting rid of them.  These garages were taking up a good deal of space and I just wanted them out.  I get that way about some of my sets.  That's how I feel about my Unimogs now.  They too may be $375 by next Christmas, but I'm happy to let them go for $325 this Christmas.  I pairing back all of my Lego investments though.  It recently dawned on me how long it is going to take to sell all the sets I have at my current rate.

Yeah, I certainly didn't sell them at an ideal time.  I think $140 by next Christmas is possible.  I just don't have much faith that this set or any of my of city sets are particularly good investments, so I've been getting rid of them.  These garages were taking up a good deal of space and I just wanted them out.  I get that way about some of my sets.  That's how I feel about my Unimogs now.  They too may be $375 by next Christmas, but I'm happy to let them go for $325 this Christmas.  I pairing back all of my Lego investments though.  It recently dawned on me how long it is going to take to sell all the sets I have at my current rate.

I hear ya - I have way more stock than I ever intended to buy. Hanging around this site will do that.  Even if I sell 50/100 sets a year, I have enough stock now to last a few years (assuming I don't buy more...)

I've actually had some good success with City - maybe it is just me, or luck, but I got some sets at a really big discount and have been happy with the returns. Certainly not every set, but there are some with nice CAGR%s.

• Like 1

I have found that City sets sell great on Craigslist around Christmas. When parents don't want sets and see how expensive they are on ebay, they turn to CL. Sell it for $10 cheaper than eBay, and it's a easy sale.

In my local craiglist, when I put some stuff on sale, 90% people ask about a discount, ask for free shipping, or even tell "keep it for me please !!! I'll buy you next week", and whatever can be my answer I never see again 100% of them.

What a waste of time, it makes me crazy.

In my local craiglist, when I put some stuff on sale, 90% people ask about a discount, ask for free shipping, or even tell "keep it for me please !!! I'll buy you next week", and whatever can be my answer I never see again 100% of them.

What a waste of time, it makes me crazy.

Hmm, jerks in your part of the world must be descendants or related to the jerks in my part of the world! For every person I get who wants to buy, I'd say only one in about seven actually completes the transaction. Others want ridiculous discounts or simply stop communicating. That being said, it is generally worth the trouble/annoyance as I like being paid in cash!

• Like 1

$0.03 really? Weird. I don't get how TRU does their sales. Just going to see what they have in the store. I really don't pay much attention to them. They just aren't close enough and their prices sucks and I can't use coupons there. This will probably be the only time I shop there in the next year unless I get more discounted GC. That is literally the only way I can save money at TRU.