Chinese New Year 2021

HandyHand

On 1/3/2021 at 12:41 PM, Alpinemaps said:

If ever there was a set that I think matched with the Temple of Airjitsu, it's the Spring Lantern Festival.  

I'm wondering how the parts of the Temple of Airjitsu can snap together with the Spring Lantern Festival. It would be cool if someone made a modular-sized alt build from Temple of Airjitsu to go with the Spring Lantern Festival.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, elmaslıefendi said:

Ordered 80107 × 2 with 2 different accounts.

One got cancelled, do they track IP-adresses now?

Ordered a 2nd time with vpn, got cancelled again. Nice, LEGO, thank you.

I think the future of LEGO resell will align w/ sneakers....bot territory...really really expensive bots

I read that some sneaker bots cost upwards of $8K/yr and still not guaranteed to work. 

53 minutes ago, elmaslıefendi said:

I’ve had instances of only ordering one of something with a limit of two. Coming back later that day or another day to order a second and get an almost instant cancel and an email stating I’m over the limit; which is obviously not true. I’ve chatted with CS in these instances and they cannot explain it to me. I was supposed to get a call back from an order team but that has never happened. 

I think they are doing something to monitor limits differently. But there are definitely cases where it’s not working. 

Finally! 80107 was briefly available for ordering here in Europe and I managed to order one. With these continued production problems and lack of availability, plus these sets having a 1 year life-span at most because of the Chinese New Year focus, this particular set could get quite valuable in the future.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, HandyHand said:

Finally! 80107 was briefly available for ordering here in Europe and I managed to order one. With these continued production problems and lack of availability, plus these sets having a 1 year life-span at most because of the Chinese New Year focus, this particular set could get quite valuable in the future.

the 1 year shelf-life is an interesting aspect.  The New Year's sets seem well reviewed by AfoLs state-side but I don't think there has been as much mainstream interest if the past sets are any indication.  Not to say these won't become valuable in the future since AfoLs fuel that market...but kids just ain't into them.

Other than the occasional GWPs/VIPs at LEGO Shop at Home...these are rarely discounted....seems like LEGO is doing well on the production numbers so that the sets essentially fade away by the end of the year.

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

50 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

the 1 year shelf-life is an interesting aspect.  The New Year's sets seem well reviewed by AfoLs state-side but I don't think there has been as much mainstream interest if the past sets are any indication.  Not to say these won't become valuable in the future since AfoLs fuel that market...but kids just ain't into them.

Other than the occasional GWPs/VIPs at LEGO Shop at Home...these are rarely discounted....seems like LEGO is doing well on the production numbers so that the sets essentially fade away by the end of the year.

Yeah, I wonder if now that they are sold at other retailers 1- the life will be extended and 2- we’ll see some real discounting from those stores

I wasn't very interested in the past Chinese New Year sets, but this set looks perfect as a Chinese garden setting in a Modular city layout. It's even got the connector pin-holes at the correct places.

Looking at previous Chinese New Year sets, a few of them were sold by other LEGO sellers, but never at a significant discount. The 80107 set far outshines any of them in quality and completeness. This will be highly sought after when its production has officially ceased.

1 hour ago, HandyHand said:

I wasn't very interested in the past Chinese New Year sets, but this set looks perfect as a Chinese garden setting in a Modular city layout. It's even got the connector pin-holes at the correct places.

Looking at previous Chinese New Year sets, a few of them were sold by other LEGO sellers, but never at a significant discount. The 80107 set far outshines any of them in quality and completeness. This will be highly sought after when its production has officially ceased.

I agree that among 80101-80107, 80107 has the widest appeal for the reasons your cited.  However, for many kids and adults who do celebrate Chinese New Year (CNY), I think that the most memorable CNY event is featured in 80101, the CNY Eve Dinner.  I expect 80101 to continue to increase in price in the secondary market, assuming no re-issue.

Another nice feature about these CNY sets is that stickers are replaced by printing directly onto the bricks.

Edited by cambridge02138
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2021 at 1:33 PM, redghostx said:

Although it probably has no long term value, the duplo set is fantastic.

I'm counting on the long-term value.  There are a lot of parts inside it that could be used in a standard brick MOC.  Really nice set.  A better toilet than the old Destiny Bounty one.

On 2/4/2021 at 7:26 AM, cambridge02138 said:

I expect 80101 to continue to increase in price in the secondary market, assuming no re-issue.

These sets have two things going for them. 
1) they are relevant for the zodiac year they were created and therefore a reissue would be weird. 
2) the zodiac is on a 12-year cycle so a reissue would be expected every 12 years. 
:)

Edited by TheBrickClique
  • Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 5:45 PM, elmaslıefendi said:

I would suggest getting from sellers on bricklink if you want more. 

On 2/4/2021 at 4:26 PM, cambridge02138 said:

I agree that among 80101-80107, 80107 has the widest appeal for the reasons your cited.  However, for many kids and adults who do celebrate Chinese New Year (CNY), I think that the most memorable CNY event is featured in 80101, the CNY Eve Dinner.  I expect 80101 to continue to increase in price in the secondary market, assuming no re-issue.

Another nice feature about these CNY sets is that stickers are replaced by printing directly onto the bricks.

80101 has appreciated quite strongly, I was back in Singapore 2 years ago and snagged a few. Last year I sold one of them for 280chf. Will hold one and keep one last one for myself. Built one 80102 and have only 1 left to sell.

I should have bought more of them from bricklink a year ago but now prices are too high for me to make a good profit.

Some of the animal sets in the Chinese zodiac series have also done quite well such as the monkey set. 

• 2 months later...