Are you an Investor that was once a collector?

Just trying to start a discussion on how you became an Investor? Were you once a collector that is now wanting to supplement your collection by making some money on selling your extras? Do you sell your extras to buy more LEGO? What made you get started in the Investing world? Do you buy and hold? Do you buy to flip quick?

My story probably is like everyone elses. I grew up with Lego not like it is today but I have fond memories of creating my own stuff in my room listing to the beach boys. Don't konw why beach boys! So fast forward present I have two kids 9 and 7 and my son is huge into lego. We bought him city sets and just played and built like normal until one day as a present my son got the seperatist shuttle as a gift. Now being a huge star wars fan it got me to poke around at other sets. A few weeks/ months later I have his lego book of star wars sets collecting sets from 2009 to present but it really blew me away when I saw the prices people were paying for retired sets on ebay, me being one of them. I then bought a huge lot for 745 dollars all used and basically rebuilt all the sets and sold the entire lot for around 2k or so. In the process I started to buy death stars. Once I got 8 death stars I said, this is crazy I better stop and I did until I discovered this site and learned so much more. The rest is history and I have been doing this as a hobby. I don't have a huge collection but I am selling an item that I bought for 9.65 for 27.99 which is a lot of fun. I have 150 of thses! Crazy thing. Be patient don't buy just to buy which I think can be a problem for a person just starting out. The other issue is that my kids keep asking me for a few sets that they don't have but they seem to ask me for them when I am distracted not sure if that is on purpose or not...... Have fun

Came out of my Dark Ages with the release of Star Wars UCS sets, specifically 10030. Started collecting every SW set for about 3 years after that as well as a few early SW sets. Put that on hold for a few years after having kids (no money or time for Lego!). Now I'm back after getting the bug again with the LOTR theme. Also having sold a few of my old SW sets I began to realise the money making potential. So now invest across many themes and collect LOTR and a few of the nicer displaying SW UCS sets.