Hey Guys! Giving this a Shot.

Hello all,

Relatively new to the world of buying and selling Legos. I decided to join this forum because I am currently trying to sell a large collection of used Lego sets in boxes with instructions. I have about a hundred sets I'm trying to sell. So far I've explored selling on eBay and r/Legomarket (if anyone has feedback on the latter it would be much appreciated). With these the goal is more about moving units as opposed to getting the best price, because space has become a real issue. Trying to get some general advice because once I've offloaded some of this collection, I'd like to get into investing in a few new sets and preserving them as NIB. I have a few burning questions that I wanted to throw out there:

1.) Pricing: How much value does a box with shelf wear and slight damage add to a used set? I've been using Bricklink as a pricing guide, any other resources you'd recommend?

2.) Shipping: Seems like a lot of time and effort will be devoted to shipping. I'm relatively inexperienced in this department. How do you box your Legos? Do you buy cardboard and custom-size boxes or do you use presized boxes from shipping companies? Who is the best company to ship with? How do you prefer to package them (bubble wrap, plastic wrap, air bags, etc.)?

3.) With COVID-19, not sure what the demand is for used Legos or Legos in general. Any input as to whether I should start selling now or wait until this thing blows over?

4.) In terms of new sets, I have my eye on the UCS A-WIng, UCS Imperial Star Destroyer 2nd Edition, a few non-UCS Star Wars sets, the Bugatti Chiron and Ford Mustang, and a few others. Any advice on these sets?

This won't be my career, but it's a more fun way to invest than researching mutual funds and stocks with the highest Morningstar ratings and dividend yields. That being said, Legos obviously will not comprise the majority of my portfolio.

Feel free to point me in the direction of any resources on this site for answers to any of these questions.

Looking forward to learning more about Lego investing, and thanks for the help!

Hello - welcome to the forum!  I'm sure many on here will have some advice and feedback for you.  Thank you for the very thorough and thoughtful post. 

1. Boxes - I think most people just want the instructions and pieces for used sets.  If the box is in good/excellent shape, that can drive up the value.  It really depends on the set and the rareness of the item.  

2. Shipping - unique for everyone depending on volume.  I use a variety of pre-sized boxes purchased from Staples and other suppliers.  I used to try and save boxes but they would take up so much valuable space and it was a chore hunting down the right size.  Now I have like 4 or 5 different standard sizes that serve me well.  It takes less than 15 seconds to pull the right size unless its an usual item. I just ship with USPS and FedEx on eBay but if you are selling on other platform you can ship via Paypal /shipnow. 

3. COVID-19 - demand is way up right now.  Nobody knows what the future holds with the economy and potential supply/stock shortages this Christmas. Check out a few other threads on this forum to read up on everyone's opinions.

4. New Sets - LEGO has done a tremendous job with some of their new sets.  I don't have much time to build anymore, but if I did, the UCS Star Destroyer would be at the top of my list just for the immense display value. That's just my opinion.

Good luck!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

Hello - welcome to the forum!  I'm sure many on here will have some advice and feedback for you.  Thank you for the very thorough and thoughtful post. 

1. Boxes - I think most people just want the instructions and pieces for used sets.  If the box is in good/excellent shape, that can drive up the value.  It really depends on the set and the rareness of the item.  

2. Shipping - unique for everyone depending on volume.  I use a variety of pre-sized boxes purchased from Staples and other suppliers.  I used to try and save boxes but they would take up so much valuable space and it was a chore hunting down the right size.  Now I have like 4 or 5 different standard sizes that serve me well.  It takes less than 15 seconds to pull the right size unless its an usual item. I just ship with USPS and FedEx on eBay but if you are selling on other platform you can ship via Paypal /shipnow. 

3. COVID-19 - demand is way up right now.  Nobody knows what the future holds with the economy and potential supply/stock shortages this Christmas. Check out a few other threads on this forum to read up on everyone's opinions.

4. New Sets - LEGO has done a tremendous job with some of their new sets.  I don't have much time to build anymore, but if I did, the UCS Star Destroyer would be at the top of my list just for the immense display value. That's just my opinion.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input!

22 hours ago, BrickLegacy said:

Good luck!

do you have that list of box sizes you use?