Monkie Kid 2020

Is this based on a cartoon series? This is clearly a retelling of Journey to the West story with Sun Wukong / Monkey King.  I like the overall design but I am a fan of the story and most of its incarnations
This line clearly took a lot of inspirations from Chima and Nexo Knights

I got the same vibe. Maybe with a bit of Ninjago mixed in as well.

Could become a movie series... didn't Lego and Universal just announce a partnership?

Could be but releasing sets before a film is a bit putting the cart before the horse. The whole thing looks like it is targeted to a non USA market. That would be a major shift on TLG if they want to move further in China. Maybe the recent lawsuits against bogus bricks paved the way to opening up the market or I’m reading too much into it.

When I saw the box art in the thumbnails, I thought these were going to turn out to be another Ninjago knockoff from the usual sources. So glad I was wrong. Here it would seem LEGO has decided to stop monkeying around with ninjas instead diving deep into the culture (relatively at least by bringing the folklore up to speed in today's world). Oh, and Pigsy's Food Truck for the win.

22 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Is this based on a cartoon series? This is clearly a retelling of Journey to the West story with Sun Wukong / Monkey King.  I like the overall design but I am a fan of the story and most of its incarnations

Soon to be aired I imagine. If these stock images are being scattered now then chances are a trailer or some other promo will surface shortly.

Sign me up. These all look awesome and really go with the ninjago city aesthetic. They also definitely look like something with a TV show or movie. Interesting note, monkey King in the mech set was totally in last series of polybags wasn't he?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a bit torn. Impressed with the drawing quality. Ok w/ voiceover (always prefer sub but believe not the original audience). Eh about the story line. 

Not seeing much discussion on the sets (unless someone can direct me). Not sure how to view these as investments. I personally like the monkey king mech and will probably purchase but the starting price seems a bit high.