Sony Playstation 4

stephen_rockefeller

I know on the surface this may not seem LEGO related but this newly announced system which will no doubt include LEGO games. I also know that a lot of AFOLs are also gamers so this might be interesting to some of y'all. So who is gonna buy one as soon one as soon as it becomes available this holiday season? I think my hand might be raised!

Here is the link for the latest PS4 info

I will probably only get one right away if it is backward compatible with PS1, PS2, and PS3 games. I don't want to get rid of my favorite games from the previous systems.

From what I read it is not backwards compatible. I guess we won't know for sure until they release more details.

I wasn't too impressed with Sony's presentation the other day. I thought they'd show the price or the system at the least. The games looked alright, but i want to see more before i decide whether or not to get one.

It was more of a sneak peak. We don't even know what the system looks like.

Excited for E3 though.

Looks amazing, much like how the PS3 came out at the time. And much like that previous console, unless you have a thousand or so dollars just lying around, who can afford these things anymore? I'm serious. This next gen system could end up being $800-$1,000, the games will start at $60-$80, and who knows how many hoops you'll have to jump through to get the damn thing setup, patched, and any other techno jargon crap, just to MAYBE get to use the console at all. Oh and let's not forget about various possible fees and the downloadable content that pop up like weeds.

Here's an article from the site in the main post talking about blocking used games.

These companies can try to rationilize it all they want, but blocking the ability to play any game that is considered used (if even slightly) is just greed. Pure & simple. They themselves are literally wording the argument as "Sony doesn't earn any kind of compensation from used game sales". Wow, so you just admitted your problem is that you are not getting a cut of the used game profits. But if you had, eveything would be okie dokie then, wouldn't it? Next thing you know, they'll make it so that brand new games won't play on a used console, if they have not already.

As far as backwards compatibility, I've read that it will play PS1 & PS3 games, but not PS2 for some reason. Why the oldest but not second oldest sounds wierd. They're saying it like "Who'd even bother playing a PS2 game by now?" Well then if we're going by that logic, why the hell even bother with PS1 technology? Whatever, I still have my PS1 & PS2.

The more I think of it, it's funny how someone will say "LEGOs are expensive" and yet buy something like this next gen console on a whim.

If Sony blocks the ability to play old games more people will just mod their system which will wreack more havoc for Sony as now people will have a way to play any game they want for a price of a rental. From a business standpoint it makes absolute sense for Sony to do this. Sony does not make any profit from selling their hardware until years later. It is all content based, and probably accessories, licenses. From a gamer standpoint I absolutely loathe this decision. However we are not too far away from all content being purchased digitally through the internet.

I think it's a big piece of crap. So the graphics might be better and you can share with a friend?!?! Big effing deal... Improve the actual games or the game play and I'll be impressed. If it's not backwards compatible then I would be an idiot to buy one... IMO it's a piece of junk that isn;t much different from what they have. oooo I don;t have to wait for the game to start....Is that really what gets you excited??? If this is their next generation gaming system then i think they are out of ideas. ( a lot like Hollywood.) Done ranting :)

If Sony blocks the ability to play old games more people will just mod their system which will wreack more havoc for Sony as now people will have a way to play any game they want for a price of a rental.

From a business standpoint it makes absolute sense for Sony to do this. Sony does not make any profit from selling their hardware until years later. It is all content based, and probably accessories, licenses.

From a gamer standpoint I absolutely loathe this decision.

I understand from the company's point of view but still, greed is greed. Next thing you know, they'll have your Blu-Ray players not read 'used' Blu-Ray movies or even old DVDs just to force the consumer to buy all new ones. Oh yeah, EVERYONE has thousands of dollars lying around to replace their entire video collection again and again and again.

However we are not too far away from all content being purchased digitally through the internet.

That is true, and unfortunately even though it is a digital download and not a tangible item, you will get charged the same amount as the physical item. Anyone that has or knows of someone that does download books knows what I'm talking about. Digital or physical, you get charged the same.

i am still plugging away on my atari 2600, suckers. just got a new high score on pitfall the other day.

Ha ha, it is rather amusing how many of the 'classic consoles' I still have AND they still work! I've heard of people having to replace their XBox360 three times already cause each one burned out! Then again, you have people that play games like these kids so....

Improve the actual games or the game play and I'll be impressed.

This is one of major reasons why the majority of the games on my PC are Indie games (besides ones from the 'classic consoles'). Not every one is a winner, but the main focus is the gameplay! Yeah, there are some nice effects and a little flash here and there, but these are true labors of love that are literally "for the love of the game".

Plus most of them are free, so WHOOHOO!!