Reading Suggestions for a COVID-19 lock-down

SpaceFan9

Thought I'd kick off a new discussion, as I'm looking for new things to read.

My suggestion: "On Fire" by John O'Leary.

A true story about a young boy who builds a new life after a devastating fire.  I found this to be very inspirational, and good read for dark times.

Take away:  Our personalities are forged by the challenges we face.  How we respond to those challenges defines who we are.  Build on that, to make your life great no matter the circumstances.

What's on your list?

1 hour ago, SpaceFan9 said:

Thought I'd kick off a new discussion, as I'm looking for new things to read.

My suggestion: "On Fire" by John O'Leary.

A true story about a young boy who builds a new life after a devastating fire.  I found this to be very inspirational, and good read for dark times.

Take away:  Our personalities are forged by the challenges we face.  How we respond to those challenges defines who we are.  Build on that, to make your life great no matter the circumstances.

What's on your list?

"On Fire" is a wonderful book. John is married to my second cousin, and is an equally wonderful guy. 

I'd add "Educated" by Tara Westover to the list...the theme of resilience seems like a good one to focus on right about now.

• Like 1

A movie came to my mind today... Demolition Man. 

In the beginning of the movie (in the future) they give a high-five, but don't actually touch.  Bullock invites Stallone back to her place for "sex" but it's some sort of mind-warp sensory thing where there is no actual touching of any kind.  When Stallone tells Bullock he wants to kiss, etc. she is grossed out at the idea of touching and "fluid exchange".  I have to confess, I always laughed but now I get it.

Edited by exracer327
  • Like 2

Not a book. Ralph Wrecks the Internet. Watched it for the first time with my kids tonight. Without spoiling anything it’s about overcoming insecurities because they can overtake and control us.  And there is a virus involved. I think most of us are pretty insecure right now and it’s making us more susceptible to some possible irrational behavior.   Like hoarding toilet paper.  Hopefully this is over soon. 

Edited by Mathew

In the beginning of the movie (in the future) they give a high-five, but don't actually touch.  Bullock invites Stallone back to her place for "sex" but it's some sort of mind-warp sensory thing where there is no actual touching of any kind.  When Stallone tells Bullock he wants to kiss, etc. she is grossed out at the idea of touching and "fluid exchange".  I have to confess, I always laughed but now I get it.
Demolition man is one of my guilty pleasures. :)
  • Like 2

The Stand is amazing... And on that note...

One of my favorite books of all time and the only book I've read more than once: Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon.

It's dated but it is amazing.  A post-apocalyptic fiction describing the aftermath of a nuclear war that provokes an evolution in humankind.

Edited by KvHulk

20 hours ago, exracer327 said:

19 hours ago, redghostx said:

Demolition man is one of my guilty pleasures. :)

In all honesty, Demolition Man is a good action hero flick with a nice mix of self-aware camp, stellar scenery, and interesting ideas. Also Taco Bell redesigned their logo because of this film. True story.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...