eBay CEO resigned. Good or bad sign?

Darth_Raichu

I saw the news and had the same question!

I'm not sure that it's really going to matter much either way as far as selling is concerned in the near term. They're looking for more growth. I don't think they're going to get a lot of growth by continuing to raise prices on the selling fee side.

My immediate thought is that people still consider ebay an online garage sale. The only way to ditch that stigma is to start treating ebay sellers similar to Amazon sellers and require return policies, etc. I'm 100% against that philosophy, but that's my opinion on why people don't trust ebay enough for ebay to see the growth they're looking/hoping for.

I know its easy to say (I dont have to run ebay..).. but being them I would definitely keep and perhaps market even stronger the auction-style listing - .. and as was mentioned before, the fees are totally killing the platfrorm for the sellers.

Edited by crayxlp

One of the more recent changes that kills me is that they made all fixed price listings be 30 days and renew automatically. No more options to run a 3 day or 10 day fixed price listing. Since that change, without fail, my listings get MUCH more activity in the week before expiration and the week after renewal. People only look at either "ending soonest" or "new listings". I always used to have a bunch of 10 day listings for things that I wanted to move and the 30 days were for things that I figured would sit around for a while. Now, everything is basically forced to sit around for a while.

Maybe I'm unique in getting the higher activity around renewal date, but it really bothers me that they made that change. I don't do auctions, but I'm thinking about starting to and just putting a high starting bid just to test the waters of having some listings renewing more often to drum up some interest.

• Like 1

The last couple of years have been focused on generating more profit by charging sellers, instead of getting more potential buyers to visit the site.  Very short term thinking. Very damaging.

Worst part is, I have no confidence that their new board is going to hire a new CEO with more of long term vision :drag:

23 minutes ago, skinsfan0521 said:

One of the more recent changes that kills me is that they made all fixed price listings be 30 days and renew automatically. No more options to run a 3 day or 10 day fixed price listing. Since that change, without fail, my listings get MUCH more activity in the week before expiration and the week after renewal. People only look at either "ending soonest" or "new listings". I always used to have a bunch of 10 day listings for things that I wanted to move and the 30 days were for things that I figured would sit around for a while. Now, everything is basically forced to sit around for a while.

Yeah, sorry.  It is harder for eBay to manipulate the search results with a bunch of 3 or 10 days listings in their database.  It is easier for eBay to get more money from sellers desperately trying to get more eyes on their 30 days listings  :devil:

Maybe I'm unique in getting the higher activity around renewal date, but it really bothers me that they made that change. I don't do auctions, but I'm thinking about starting to and just putting a high starting bid just to test the waters of having some listings renewing more often to drum up some interest.

Yeah that change has been extremely frustrating. I haven’t been able to get into a rhythm since. With eBay it’s like you have to change your listing strategy every 3 months.

With amazon you just dump stuff in a box and set a price. eBay makes it so cumbersome for the seller. Amazon makes it easy (except for policy enforcement and all the other nonsense).

Bottom line: this business is exhausting. I need some cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/27/2019 at 4:41 PM, BrickLegacy said:

Yeah that change has been extremely frustrating. I haven’t been able to get into a rhythm since. With eBay it’s like you have to change your listing strategy every 3 months.

With amazon you just dump stuff in a box and set a price. eBay makes it so cumbersome for the seller. Amazon makes it easy (except for policy enforcement and all the other nonsense).

Bottom line: this business is exhausting. I need some cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

European eBay sites plainly SUCK big time. Somehow.. they are just so confident that they can charge you whatever they want.. and then they can not grasp the result of their actions that they are earning less.. 

HELLO??!! what the hell (EU ebay) are you thinking?!!! .. 

a) as a private listing withi no e-shop I sell an item for 100 GBP
b) .. the item gets sold, payment via PayPal
c) the fees... ebay UK asks for strict 10 % 
d] the fees .. paypal EU asks for some 3.6 %
e] the fees.. in a monthly balance review you find out that ebay EU charges you additional VAT rate based on your residendancy EVEN if you are no business entity and are just a pure physiccal person

thus to sum it up:

you sell an item using EU ebay platform for 100 GBP and you have to pay the fees of 

c) 10 GBP (includes the costs)  + VAT imposed by ebay (2.10 GBP in my case)
d) paypal gets the fee item + SH - 0,36 GBP
e) 2.10 original ebay fees mutilplied by the local VAT rate (in my case 21 % VAT). so this item comes to 2.54 GBP

.. AND THE FINAL TOTAL. comes to 18,24 GBP from the final listing price of 100 GBP.. looks decent? hell no! its just pure and simple blackmail.

Edited by crayxlp