Minifigure Mayhem

Blackjack

I'm sure others have noticed the decline in minifigure quality over the last few years, and this is especially worrying in the area of Star Wars Lego minifigures. You used to be able to pull off and exchange the arms of minifigs without worrying about damaging them, but now, torsos crack under pressure much more easily. Also, they increasingly come with cracks already in the torso. When I built my Pre Vizsla's Mandalorian Fighter, his cape had a black hair glued into it. Although this probably happens infrequently, it is still pretty bad. The reason this is topical to SW Lego is because Star Wars Lego minifigs are the reason most people seem to buy the sets and they are worth quite a lot. If someone gets a SW, (or any other popular theme) set and plans to sell the minifigs, but they have loose arms or stress-marked torsos, they're not going to be able to get nearly as much money for them. If this decline in quality is the result of moving to Mexico, then I want American manufacturing back, even with the higher prices!

I've heard that a majority of the minifigures are being made in China, not Mexico. From my experience, certain colors, particularly white, have suffered the most from this. I have a Rebel Pilot that came with the Yavin 4 Planet set and while the printing is perfect, the white is faded and the orange 'bleeds' through. Also, I had to open three different "Chase McCain" polybags before I had one that wasn't messed up in some way.

It's a wierd toss-up with how things have progressed. The overall detail of the printing is exquisite compared to older characters, yet the quality of certain parts and colors have taken a turn for the worse. And it's not always consistent either. For the most part, every new set I have built has been just as it should be, but every now & then someone throws a monkey wrench in there just to spite me.

The bad part is, they know we probably won't stop buying, even as the product gets worse.

And that's the truth of it. Who else would we buy from?

MEGA BLOKS? KRE-O? BEST LOCK? I'd rather shoot myself in the foot.

Maybe if more people complained about the quality, Lego would do something. I doubt it would do anything but it wouldn't hurt. At least Lego would know that we do not appreciate lower quality bricks.

I wonder if there's a petition somewhere on the net just for this. Like you said, it wouldn't hurt to try at the least.