Lego Set Footprints

MusiKyle

Question

What is the easiest quickest way to determine the footprint of an existing set for city-planning purposes?  I want to create an amusement park (Disney Castle, Roller Coaster, Ferris Wheel, Carousel, Pirate Roller Coaster, etc.), but several of the sets I do not yet own.  My best method at this time would simply be to look at pictures or downloaded instruction manuals try to count/guess.  I'd like to determine the 'page break' of my amusement park boundaries to see if/when I'd need a second table.  Or if I have enough room in my basement for the 'vision'.

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

maybe the original set description provided by shop@h? 

for example 10261 Creator Expert Roller Coaster

• Measures over 20” (53cm) high, 34” (88cm) wide and 16” (41cm) deep.

10257 Carousel

• Measures over 12” (32cm) high, 14” (38cm) wide and 13” (35cm) deep.

there is a very helpful tool called LEGO Unit Converter. Click!

1266969921_Bildschirmfoto2019-07-02um13_57_37.thumb.png.59c2ed752fddd82d07fbd3b0f02d5038.png

Edited by OrangeChiliPeP
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, OrangeChiliPeP said:

maybe the original set description provided by shop@h? 

for example 10261 Creator Expert Roller Coaster

• Measures over 20” (53cm) high, 34” (88cm) wide and 16” (41cm) deep.

10257 Carousel

• Measures over 12” (32cm) high, 14” (38cm) wide and 13” (35cm) deep.

I was thinking where the unit was in studs, but I suppose I could convert inches to studs by multiplying by 3.2 (based on 32x32 baseplate measuring 10"x10").  I'm probably overthinking it... just need to get myself within an inch as an estimate, rounding up to err on the side of caution and just improvise when building as necessary. 

1 minute ago, MusiKyle said:

I was thinking where the unit was in studs, but I suppose I could convert inches to studs by multiplying by 3.2 (based on 32x32 baseplate measuring 10"x10").  I'm probably overthinking it... just need to get myself within an inch as an estimate, rounding up to err on the side of caution and just improvise when building as necessary. 

The Lego Unit Converter is what you are looking for...?

Click!

A Big-Ass Table is what you need. Probably a custom built. My guess is a standard US plywood sheet would hold all of those, but just barely and with no room for any theme park assets. Meaning you gotta go bigger.

I want to do the same thing, and have all of what you mention except the RC. I also want to include the old Friends Amusement lineup, the Unikitty "coaster", Toy Story youth area, (all owned) NEW Friends themed area. AND save room for the proposed D2C Disney Train.

In other words. A Big-Ass Table.

Edited by CosmicSpeed
  • Like 1