75936 - Jurassic Park: T. rex Rampage

Val-E

3 hours ago, BricksBrotha said:

Sure, but large companies also issue NDA's all the time.  So where is the line drawn between product launch leaks or PR disasters.  In this case, even the set designer was out on the interwebs commenting on fan sites defending TLG decision.  They are indirectly pitting AFOL's against each other, valued customer. How is that good for business?

Unfortunately, it all comes with the price of doing business. Not everyone can be pleased and the ideas submission platform as it stands is basically handing your idea to the world(lbh, once on the web, forever on the web) praying for the best intentions.  That environment actually deters good ideas from coming forward. 

So very true in so many ways.  A few years ago when Lego had the Friends contest over the summer, my son was in the final group.  While he won some free sets, the set he designed was practically copied by Lego and made into a set on their own the following season.  They did this with a handful of them and while it didn't surprise me as that's just business, it's like a punch in the face to a child with big dreams.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, supergman said:

So very true in so many ways.  A few years ago when Lego had the Friends contest over the summer, my son was in the final group.  While he won some free sets, the set he designed was practically copied by Lego and made into a set on their own the following season.  They did this with a handful of them and while it didn't surprise me as that's just business, it's like a punch in the face to a child with big dreams.

Ynow...what other realistic outcome could have come from it though? What did your child expect...royalties or an internship at LEgo?

It's not like there's a huge market out there for MOC directions,,,if anything if a child dreams of designing for LEGO someday...this is exactly the kind of validation/experience he/she needs.

On 6/21/2019 at 10:15 AM, supergman said:

Which set was it?

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Voltron said:

Any UK folk manage to get the 20% deals from argos? Seems like this is the second (and only time?) Set has been on discount. 

I personally think it will perform OK, nothing special, but low probability of re-release / "normal" shelf life and doesn't seem to be hoarded.

I did about 3 months ago when they also had it on discount. But boy Argos cannot care less about box condition😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

3 hours ago, Voltron said:

Any UK folk manage to get the 20% deals from argos? Seems like this is the second (and only time?) Set has been on discount. 

I personally think it will perform OK, nothing special, but low probability of re-release / "normal" shelf life and doesn't seem to be hoarded.

its the 3rd time i have seen it cut. i think it will do well, i took loads back, they was already opened boxes. was pathetic. argos are the worst

3 hours ago, Voltron said:

I've just collected mine - and in surprisingly good condition (for Argos!)

I think it will do quite well - there aren't that many on Ebay with the lowest around RRP (and 4 sold since yesterday between £200-£245).  Only issue for me are the dimensions of the boxes; could be interesting to find something that will fit it, as they're unusually large & square!  Alternatively, there's always the option of splitting them into minifigures/T Rex/Gate - much easier to ship and there seems to be reasonable demand for each.