Global Shipping Program Question

scatmanjack

USA based small-time seller who has sold exclusively to USA buyers...

Have recently listed a USA exclusive lot with Global Shipping Program option to expand buyer pool...

Getting offers from Canadian buyers...

Would I still be mailing the package to Kentucky and eBay handles the international part?

Listing has buyer paying a fixed dollar amount for shipping and don't want to get burned by having to pay for Canadian shipping instead of Kentucky...

Feel free to rip me one if deserved....

3 hours ago, KShine said:

If you set it up correctly (using the GSP), yes - it would be shipped by you to a local location (who will ship it to them).

If you didn't set it up correctly - well, at least shipping to Canada isn't that bad.

Well I did select GSP when creating the listing using eBay app... If that that didn't cover it guess I may hosed by a Hoser...

Guest TabbyBoy

I stopped GSP after they started taking my sets out of my custom double-walled boxes and putting them into bin liners instead to save weight. It's also much cheaper for the buyer if you ship yourself. Just make sure you declare correct customs value.

Yeah declare correct customs vallue of course, but even there, i never paid anything at my door(maybe im lucky).

With GSP, they charges it on the invoice, which in many case result in destroying the deal and wont make the purchase. I would if not.

PLease don't use this **** it takes longger to arrive to.,

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

I've had more buyer complaints from GSP than self-ship. I've also checked Pitneys Bowes' corporate volume shipping rates and eBay is making a HUGE mark-up! Don't feed the greed!

Edited by TabbyBoy

52 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I've had more buyer complaints from GSP than self-ship. I've also checked Pitneys Bowes' corporate volume shipping rates and eBay is making a HUGE mark-up! Don't feed the greed!

I use GSP and will keep using it, it allows me to ship to places I wouldn't dream of self shipping to because of too many previous problems.  Using it I can still reach those buyers and am 100% covered.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, zaphoid said:

I use GSP and will keep using it, it allows me to ship to places I wouldn't dream of self shipping to because of too many previous problems.  Using it I can still reach those buyers and am 100% covered.

Yep, easy peasy. If you're getting complaints about GSP from your buyers, you are talking too much to your buyers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

More often than not they’ll take your (perfectly packaged) parcel, open it, put it haphazardly into a box MUCH too large, and your item inevitably arrives damaged, 4-6 weeks after the purchase. Tried it enough times to develop a (horrible) track record.

GSP is indeed a hard pass from this Canadian buyer too.

• Like 1

GSP is great for US sellers, but also provides additional seller/buyer protections.  Yes, its more expensive for buyers, but they get insurance and better tracking.  Never had any issues, used it many times over the years since they created it.  Repackaging must be a non-US practice - never heard of it happening.  Or if it does, the US team does a better job.  eBay carries all the risk after its received in Kentucky, so if they transfer it to crappy packaging which causes it to get damaged, they have to reimburse the buyer.  Seller is 100% protected.

Canada is a customs roulette country.  Technically anything >$20 is taxable, but I've never seen any buyer <$100 get taxed, and over >$100 happens rarely if shipping USPS.   If you ship UPS or FedEx, they have it built into their computer systems so its more likely to get charged.   GSP does not use USPS for that leg (that would defeat the purpose of GSP), so that's why Canadian buyers get hit with the customs fee on GSP.   Since CBSA fails (for whatever reason) to enforce the rules on USPS parcels, there is a perception that direct shipping is much cheaper.  It's only cheaper if direct-shipping buyers keep dodging the GST bullet.

• Like 5

GSP is great for US sellers, but also provides additional seller/buyer protections.  Yes, its more expensive for buyers, but they get insurance and better tracking.  Never had any issues, used it many times over the years since they created it.  Repackaging must be a non-US practice - never heard of it happening.  Or if it does, the US team does a better job.  eBay carries all the risk after its received in Kentucky, so if they transfer it to crappy packaging which causes it to get damaged, they have to reimburse the buyer.  Seller is 100% protected.

I totally agree. I have had several shipments where the international buyer complained about damage (mostly Funko shipments if I remember correctly). In every case eBay refunded the buyer and let me keep all of the funds as the seller because I used GSP. I’ll never ship internationally using any other eBay option. I don’t want to wait around for weeks to see if a package I send makes it to a far corner of the Earth. I also don’t want it to be my fault that a package gets stuck in customs limbo because I didn’t complete paperwork correctly. I’m not an international freight forwarder and have no desire to become one.
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, TargetZero said:

nothing to do with being canadian or GSP proggram

Well I started this thread because I had a Canadien Buyer under my GSP listing and had questions.  Just providing a status update as the buyer likely balked due to potential higher than expected shipping from USA to Canada...

43 minutes ago, scatmanjack said:

Well I started this thread because I had a Canadien Buyer under my GSP listing and had questions.  Just providing a status update as the buyer likely balked due to potential higher than expected shipping from USA to Canada...

Well I always demand quote before buying from USA buyers, so we dont have any suprise, but GSP is ruining alot of deal for me.

The best i've ffound when i buy from USA is from seller that don't use GSP and deliver by standart usps services. Thats the best deal i find and make it worth it in the state. sorry for that buyer could happend even within U.S. too. 

Edited by TargetZero