Lost Lego Collection

I have been collecting lego since I was young, about 25 years now. I recently lost my entire collection in the California wildfires and while I remember nearly all of the sets that I had. I don't remember all of them or have any real documentation of what I had purchased. I am wondering if anyone has any tips on how to estimate my collection for insurance to reimburse me what they can? I know roughly the weight and size of boxes they were all in, the collection begins with sets in the early 90s all the way to a few months ago. Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

• Sad 3

Sorry to hear about your loss. I would think any documentation such a pictures and receipts should help. You can use the site's price index to try and get an estimate but I am note sure that will suffice when you file a claim. Probably best to ask you insurance company what type of proof they accept . 

Others might have a better advice than me as I know a few had to file a claim for one reason or another. 

1 hour ago, jordankmaze said:

I have been collecting lego since I was young, about 25 years now. I recently lost my entire collection in the California wildfires and while I remember nearly all of the sets that I had. I don't remember all of them or have any real documentation of what I had purchased. I am wondering if anyone has any tips on how to estimate my collection for insurance to reimburse me what they can? I know roughly the weight and size of boxes they were all in, the collection begins with sets in the early 90s all the way to a few months ago. Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. If you can recall the most expensive or rare sets, then I'd list those and consider looking up the current market rate via eBay or Bricklink for the recently sold sets and offer them as an average. As for the rest, I think the low ball route would be to do it via weight and cite current value per pound. This is far from ideal, but it would at least give you something concrete. 

Guest TabbyBoy

With my insurance company, and when I kept sets at home, I had to declare my LEGO stash as a separate entity on my house contents insurance otherwise I would have been covered. I also now keep a manifest in the cloud updated as to where my sets are at any one time so that I can submit it straight away if the worst happens. 

Shocking news, but at least you're safe and I hope you family and friends are too. Even if it's an honest estimate, any decent insurance company should consider this under the circumstances.