Need some EBay selling advice?

jbacunn

Yeah I have one day handling on all my listings, but 99% of the time ship same day. And I still have customers complaining about how long it takes. Not very often but it happens more than I would think. I always point out tracking and how the post office had it same day as ordered. So I would definitely always use vacation mode as I can’t imagine the complaints on just changing handling time.  I don’t think many customers even pay attention to that. 

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
8 hours ago, dx0520 said:

Do you have inventory costs? I fail to understand burning money...

8 hours ago, Mgip21 said:

You just have to skip over his comments or read them for entertainment purposes only. Not much knowledge to be gained from that one 

Guys... You've got the wrong end of the stick and sorry to confuse you.

Of course I have inventory costs, if you mean buy-in. As for storage, it's free for me.

Yes, I've burned money on turkeys like the Pet Salon that just doesn't sell. Anyway, I got those at 80% off and just about broke even overall. How can I be blamed of a £0.01 auction only has 1 bid? It happens sometimes and I even bought a 60152 CITY Sweeper for £0.99 last year!

Since I now have my B&M signage centre, that also helps as I have sets on display which customers often notice and buy... for cash.

Do I have money to burn? Yes, a little bit ?

Edited by TabbyBoy

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Mgip21 said:

I’m not confused, I know to look past your post and never take your advise.  From time to time I do enjoy/roll eyes at your silliness 

Woteva!

4 hours ago, zaphoid said:

I was wondering what others do for photos that they take for selling on eBay.  I was thinking of investing in a light box and wanted to see if anyone else was doing this and could offer an opinion, thanks.

Those little collapsible photo kits are tempting, but most probably would only fit the smallest of sets in the cube.
I'm not recommending my unprofessionalism, but I use a 99-cent foam poster board as my backdrop.

• Like 4

Guest TabbyBoy
17 minutes ago, lodibricks said:

Those little collapsible photo kits are tempting, but most probably would only fit the smallest of sets in the cube.
I'm not recommending my unprofessionalism, but I use a 99-cent foam poster board as my backdrop.

I just drape clean white or black velvet behind and use soft focus for the rear. I don't think it matters too much as poor photos taken in somebody's untidy kitchen still attract good prices. I use stock photos (with permission) for boxes from cartons and actual photos for those from store shelves.

6 hours ago, lodibricks said:

6 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

I just drape clean white or black velvet behind and use soft focus for the rear. I don't think it matters too much as poor photos taken in somebody's untidy kitchen still attract good prices. I use stock photos (with permission) for boxes from cartons and actual photos for those from store shelves.

I actually use a white table cloth today.  I've got issues with getting enough light and glare that I'm trying to over come.  They have some that are light boxes on eBay in the $30 range that are 60cm all the way around that that would work for 90%+ of my sets.

A lightbox will help with the glare. It's easy to make one for a few dollars with a cardboard box, tissue paper or fabric for the windows, and matte poster board for the background.

Buying or building depends on how you value time vs money and whether you want extra features like being collapsible or an all-in-one kit that includes lights, a tripod, etc.

9 hours ago, lodibricks said:

I do the same.  I tried building a light box, but it wasn't worth the effort.  My setup now is to use an overhead florescent shop light for good diffusivity and (weirdly) the correct colors, and foam poster boards as a stand---sometimes with white or light brown butcher/craft paper draped over to remove the visible joint lines.  Works much better than the photo kit I failed at building.

My son posts a lot of MOCs on Flicker, and his set up is similar, but with LED light bulbs in two simple $6 desk lamps from Target.  The lamps give him better control over the highlights and contrasts.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2019 at 1:18 PM, Migration said:

Items can and do sell during vacation mode, you just don’t have to ship until you get back.

Can you clarify this comment? According to the ebay help: https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/ebay-stores/managing-ebay-store/account-holiday?id=4090#section2  it says that you need to ship your items in your normal handling time if you don't disable them from being bought. They even have this comment:

Tip 
If you decide not to hide your fixed price listings, make sure you can still meet your stated handling and shipping times. Consider extending the handling time on your listings

55 minutes ago, skinsfan0521 said:

Can you clarify this comment? According to the ebay help: https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/ebay-stores/managing-ebay-store/account-holiday?id=4090#section2  it says that you need to ship your items in your normal handling time if you don't disable them from being bought. They even have this comment:

Tip 
If you decide not to hide your fixed price listings, make sure you can still meet your stated handling and shipping times. Consider extending the handling time on your listings

That is correct (and least it was years ago) - that's why I had to figure out a work-around.

Buyer has sent me a message requesting to cancel an item after shipping label has been created (I have not dropped in the mail yet) because his son accidently hit the buy button. Should I be the one to cancel the transaction or is there a place where they can specifically request a cancellation outside of just sending me a message? Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

9 minutes ago, firstofminifigs said:

Buyer has sent me a message requesting to cancel an item after shipping label has been created (I have not dropped in the mail yet) because his son accidently hit the buy button. Should I be the one to cancel the transaction or is there a place where they can specifically request a cancellation outside of just sending me a message? Thanks.

Since they asked, you can cancel the transaction and state the reason as Buyer requested - and then make sure to void the label (to get that $ back).

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy
4 hours ago, firstofminifigs said:

It's probably buyer's remorse and this is a popular lame excuse. If they accidentally hit the buy button, wouldn't they be asked again to confirm? I'd ask them to initiate the cancellation to ensure that you get your FVF fee back, oh... and the listing fee as you'll probably have to pay again to re-list and lose all those competitors watchers ?

This is one reason why I never process shipping within eBay and wait at least 24 hours before posting anything.

It's probably buyer's remorse and this is a popular lame excuse. If they accidentally hit the buy button, wouldn't they be asked again to confirm? I'd ask them to initiate the cancellation to ensure that you get your FVF fee back, oh... and the listing fee as you'll probably have to pay again to re-list and lose all those competitors watchers
This is one reason why I never process shipping within eBay and wait at least 24 hours before posting anything.
In the message he said his son hit the buy button on accident Anyway, thanks for the help. I voided shipping label, marked as not shipped, canceled the transaction with buyer changed mind option and this prompted me to issue a refund. Relisted for $1 more to cover the printer ink, paper and packing tape

30 minutes ago, firstofminifigs said:

In the message he said his son hit the buy button on accident emoji19.png Anyway, thanks for the help. I voided shipping label, marked as not shipped, canceled the transaction with buyer changed mind option and this prompted me to issue a refund. Relisted for $1 more to cover the printer ink, paper and packing tape emoji12.png

Don't forget the $0.30 that Paypal kept ... you need to recover that too ....

• 1 month later...

How long will USPS hold a package when their reason is the following is "Notice Left (No Secure Location Available)"?  It's been about two weeks and I think this was probably a drop shipper that bought it as I got the standard "no invoice, it's a gift, send tracking, etc." so this could be interesting.

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

How long will USPS hold a package when their reason is the following is "Notice Left (No Secure Location Available)"?  It's been about two weeks and I think this was probably a drop shipper that bought it as I got the standard "no invoice, it's a gift, send tracking, etc." so this could be interesting.

15 days, generally.

On 3/6/2019 at 5:09 PM, skinsfan0521 said:

Tip 

I generally think that buyers don't read the fine print (if they read the description at all), so although vacation mode or extension of handling time may be the technically correct approach; it still results in an unhappy buyer which is fraught with negative outcomes.

Best way, IMO is to message the buyer directly and let them know (again) about needing more handling time and then ask if they still want the item or if they would like to cancel.

Is anyone noticing a pretty dramatic increase in first class packages arriving days outside of USPS estimated timeframe? I think nearly 40% of my recent sales that went via first class have arrived more than a few days outside of the estimate. Thankfully, most buyers haven't noticed, but my most recent buyer did and is pretty upset. I even ended up refunding a portion of the sale as a shipment credit and apologizing for USPS being late. This happens once in a while with priority, but seems like a common occurrence with first class. Any one else noticing it or have thoughts? 

2 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

Is anyone noticing a pretty dramatic increase in first class packages arriving days outside of USPS estimated timeframe? I think nearly 40% of my recent sales that went via first class have arrived more than a few days outside of the estimate. Thankfully, most buyers haven't noticed, but my most recent buyer did and is pretty upset. I even ended up refunding a portion of the sale as a shipment credit and apologizing for USPS being late. This happens once in a while with priority, but seems like a common occurrence with first class. Any one else noticing it or have thoughts? 

I sell FBM on amazon and this has happened a few times recently. It’s only a matter of time until I give in and go FBA. 

PayPal question.  I recently sold an item for $50 USD to someone is Sault s Marie, MI.  I was charged $2.50 for the fee which comes out to 4.4% + $.30 transaction fee.  I cant figure out why I was charged the international fee on a domestic transaction.

Edited by zaphoid

8 minutes ago, zaphoid said:

PayPal question.  I recently sold an item for $50 USD to someone is Sault s Marie, MI.  I was charged $2.50 for the fee which comes out to 4.4% + $.30 transaction fee.  I cant figure out why I was charged the international fee on a domestic transaction.

Where did the payment originate from? My guess is it's from Canada, and someone gets their items shipped to the US side.