Jump to content

1HY 2018 TLG Financial Results


Recommended Posts

Developments in first half 2018:
• Global consumer sales grew 1% in the six months to June 2018
• Revenue has stabilised and growth is flat while operating profit is up 4 percent in constant exchange rates compared with the same period in 2017.
• In DKK terms, revenue was 14.3 billion, a decline of 5 percent compared with 14.9 billion in the first half of 2017. Operating profit declined 4 percent to DKK 4.2 billion. Net profit was DKK 3.0 billion, down 10 percent. Cash flow from operating activities was DKK 4.1 billion, compared with DKK 4.6 billion in 2017. These declines were driven mainly by the weakening of the US Dollar.

The LEGO Group today reported earnings for the first half of the year ending June 30, 2018.

In constant currency, consumer sales grew 1 percent, largely in line with revenue growth, reflecting the fact that the Group entered 2018 with healthy inventory levels. Revenue for the period was flat compared with the same period in 2017, and operating profit grew 4 percent.

The LEGO Group CEO, Niels B Christiansen said: “Our plan for 2018 is to stabilise the business and invest to create growth in the longer-term. These results show we’re on track and we are encouraged by the early progress. They are due to strong execution by our market teams and compelling innovation, including the successful launches of new products such as the LEGO® Creator Roller Coaster, the Jurassic World range and the LEGO Technic Bugatti Chiron. While we are encouraged by the progress we are making, there is more to do, and it will take time to return to sustainable growth.

“We are especially satisfied with our performance given the challenges of the changing retail landscape, including the closure of Toys R Us in the US, UK and Australia. We are well positioned to capitalise on new opportunities to delight consumers and shoppers across all channels and are particularly encouraged by growth from activities across digital and e-commerce platforms. We will continue to work closely with our retail partners and in LEGO-branded retail channels to create great experiences for consumers whenever and wherever they want to shop or play.”

Performance in established markets was stable compared with the same period in 2017. In constant currency, revenue in western Europe grew low single digits, while revenue in North America declined slightly, in part due to the changes in the retail landscape. China continues to perform strongly, with revenue growing double-digits in the first six months of the year.

Operating profit in DKK terms was 4.2 billion compared with 4.4 billion in 2017, a decline of 4 percent, driven by the impact of the weaker US Dollar. The LEGO Group continues to build a strong foundation for longer term growth, reinvesting savings from organisation adjustments to product and experience innovation and channel development. The company also continues to expand in strategic markets and will open two flagship stores in China in the coming year, one in Shanghai in September 2018 and a second in Beijing in early 2019. It will also continue to develop its partnership with Tencent, one of China’s largest internet service companies, and follow the successful launch of its video channel in May, with a games product in the second half of 2018.
During the first half of the year the top-performing themes were LEGO Technic, LEGO Ninjago, LEGO Creator and LEGO Classic. LEGO City and LEGO Star Wars also continue to be amongst the Group’s biggest themes. LEGO BOOST, which combines building, coding and robotics for younger children, continues to do well. Meanwhile, LEGO Life, a safe digital platform where children can share their LEGO creations in a positive and supportive social media environment, continues to grow and currently has more than four million users in nearly 30 countries.


 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

During the first half of the year the top-performing themes were LEGO Technic, LEGO Ninjago, LEGO Creator and LEGO Classic.

Has Star Wars ever been out of the Top 4 before?  I know the next sentence says SW was "among the biggest themes", but is the fact its out of the Top 4 new?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, thedingman5 said:

Has Star Wars ever been out of the Top 4 before?  I know the next sentence says SW was "among the biggest themes", but is the fact its out of the Top 4 new?

just read between the lines.. there are no Elves or Friends mentioned - and that is NEW.. look at the older reports, always mentioned there. The interim report is just a pack of cr*ap.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

just read between the lines.. there are no Elves or Friends mentioned - and that is NEW.. look at the older reports, always mentioned there. The interim report is just a pack of cr*ap.. 
Hmm, makes it seem like the Minidolls still arent successful. I dont see them canceling them, but as a father of daughters who have Disney sets and some Friends, why doesnt Lego provide more Minidolls like they do Figures?

I know it isnt relevant specifically to this thread, but its pretty annoying when you have almost all of the Little Mermaid sets and have countless Ariels (one with legs), but one Ursula and two Prince Erics. I know its a result of the story itself but if Lego really is committed to the Minidolls, they need to move beyond "branded" Friends and Disney sets and introduce generic ones like the Minifigures.

My daughters can make up their own stories and adventures, do they really need to establish backstories and themes across multiple years? Im sure Lego has done research on their target market, but as an AFOL father looking from the outside, they should make some changes.
/rant

Sent from my VS995 using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, CosmicSpeed said:

Hmm, makes it seem like the Minidolls still arent successful. I dont see them canceling them, but as a father of daughters who have Disney sets and some Friends, why doesnt Lego provide more Minidolls like they do Figures?

I know it isnt relevant specifically to this thread, but its pretty annoying when you have almost all of the Little Mermaid sets and have countless Ariels (one with legs), but one Ursula and two Prince Erics. I know its a result of the story itself but if Lego really is committed to the Minidolls, they need to move beyond "branded" Friends and Disney sets and introduce generic ones like the Minifigures.

My daughters can make up their own stories and adventures, do they really need to establish backstories and themes across multiple years? Im sure Lego has done research on their target market, but as an AFOL father looking from the outside, they should make some changes.
/rant

Sent from my VS995 using Brickpicker Forum mobile app
 

That is an excellent point.  I wonder if it is an internal branding issue for them that they just haven't thought through.  It's like LEGO is hung up on selling the story lines of the girls and treat it just like Barbie stories / toys.  I wonder how much it would change if they did what you suggested.  I know my daughter would be all over that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

LEGO City line will sell more if they will stop repeating the same old crap. Give us something new that we see everyday in the city. So many possibilities. Sure, I get police, fire stations maybe their "bread and butter" and go ahead and refresh it every 2-3 years. Just not every year with a slightly tweak.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, tacsniper said:

LEGO City line will sell more if they will stop repeating the same old crap. Give us something new that we see everyday in the city. So many possibilities. Sure, I get police, fire stations maybe their "bread and butter" and go ahead and refresh it every 2-3 years. Just not every year with a slightly tweak.

Id love some archaeological teams or dockyards with cranes, would fit nicely with heavy load trains

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...