best way to ship LEGO sets

zig_brickz

Question

Hello, I am looking to sell a MISB 60 years anniversary set(the SAH promo in January), and I wondered what was the cheapest(while still safe) way to ship the set. I didn't know whether the flat rate USPS boxes were the way to go, or if UPS could be better. Also, I was planning on putting it up for sale once Christmas gets a little closer. That isn't too early to sell is it? Also, Ebay or Bricklink? I have bought from Bricklink before and like it, but I don't know which is preferable. In short, I am new to the game and trying to figure out where to start.

7 answers to this question

Just now, zig_brickz said:

Hello, I am looking to sell a MISB 60 years anniversary set(the SAH promo in January), and I wondered what was the cheapest(while still safe) way to ship the set.

USPS first class package

10 minutes ago, zig_brickz said:

Also, Ebay or Bricklink? I have bought from Bricklink before and like it, but I don't know which is preferable.

eBay will get you a quicker sale, but with more competition and higher fees. Bricklink moves slower, but it comes with lower fees you can just set it and forget it until the sale email arrives.

Just now, zig_brickz said:

In short, I am new to the game and trying to figure out where to start.

In short, don't. But really, don't expect too much. Do it for fun, do it to supplement your own collection... but unless you have a ton of capital or a lot of old sets already marinating, you're too late to the party.

In short, I am new to the game and trying to figure out where to start.

Sounds like you're starting in the right place. Buy some sets and then sell them...rinse and repeat. Try Ebay, bricklink, and other sales platforms you can find, and figure out what works best for you.

The biggest challenge lies in figuring out what to buy, when to buy it, and how much to pay for it. Perhaps a bit obvious, but that is ultimately the key to making things work.

Unless you have a lot of excess capital, don't go crazy buying sets on discount or at clearance until you know that you can move what you're buying. Buying is easy, selling is hard.

And most of all...take what you read here with a grain of salt. There are some folks who know what they're doing and are straight up about things, but there are also a lot who talk out of their a**.

Good luck.

Oh and on your original question about packaging...Lego boxes are quite resilient. If you're sending a single set, a single wall shipping cardboard shipping box with newspaper as void fill is really all you need.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

• Like 1

I think "shipping best practices" would be a great discussion. The number of terrible shipments I receive on a daily basis blows my mind.

In general, you want the closest fitting box as possible and want to limit movement inside of the box. I personally ship items in Lego cartons when I can. Which is essentially a cardboard sleeve. Damage usually comes from items tumbling around in a box or a box collapsing because the interior isn't packed.

I've shipped some Lego sets along with just parts of sets, and I  found that the best way to ship, along with the cheapest way to ship is... no.1 Use ship station! It saved me a lot of time and most of all, money! no.2 I found that using bubble line poly mailers works great! It's big and can ship most Lego sets over 12 inches. I use those a lot for shipping Lego sets along with single Lego planes, cars.etc I can fit most anything in those mailers and ship it for $2.99 anywhere! That's what I think is the best way. But there could be something else better. 

I hope you do well in your investing and selling Legos! Take it slow and learn wall you go. 

Good luck!