Top Rated Plus Change - June 1 2018

scatttcat

So it seems as of today, to now get top rated plus on your eBay listings you must choose "Seller Pays - Free Returns" under returns, as well as 1 or same day handling and 30 days or more returns.

This is so annoying. Now to get this discount, I basically have to state I'll always cover return shipping....

So now I guess I take my listings case by case and see what is more profitable - getting that 10% final value fee discount vs covering myself from paying a large return shipping fee. So ultimately this comes down to weight of an item I guess?

......and EVEN IF I have buyer cover the costs, theres always the chance the buyer chooses "item not as described" and then I cover return shipping anyways.

So just curious what everyone else plans to do? Keep with the Top Rated Plus... or leave it so buyer covers shipping?

Btw, you have to update all your listings as of today. All items as of today without this, lose top rated plus benefits.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, scatttcat said:

So now I guess I take my listings case by case and see what is more profitable - getting that 10% final value fee discount vs covering myself from paying a large return shipping fee. So ultimately this comes down to weight of an item I guess?

The way I understand it the 10 % final value fee discount was 10% off the 10% FVF on the items sale price or more simply 1% of the items sale price. This and has never really been worth it IMO and certainly is not now comparing it to the costs of return shipping it seems it would always be smarter to not offer free returns....Now if a buyer wants you to pay return shipping they can easily claim SNAD for any reason and your on the hook for return shipping...So you are talking about paying 9% FVFs instead of 10% on all your items and only really have to worry about the honest remorse buyers that would not just claim SNAD anyway. So if you are willing to do the 1 day handling I say go for it !!!

Do you think there is any element in ebays algorithms that when you have the “top rated plus badge” your items get bumped a little higher? I guess if you did believe that then the TRP is a little more enticing to try and get.

But yes, it’s really only 1% off in fees.... and that could be NOTHING compared to return shipping

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

I hadn't done the math, but I think I'd take the hit losing Top Rated discounts over free returns, especially with the oddly high percentage of my sales in CA going to east coast. While there might be a low amount of buyer remorse returns up until now, I imagine that could rise if "change of mind" qualifies for free shipping back. :( 

• Like 1

Best match search placement is a bigger advantage than that 1 % FVF (10% vs 9%)

I checked a few of my best selling items and check "Free Returns" and see the price difference (and competitor participation) 

Exh 1.  Item A: Best match price = $29.99; Best match with "free return" price = $45

Exh 2.  Item B:Best match price = $24.92; Best match with "free return" price = $26.99

Exh 3.  Item C:Best match price = $19.99; Best match with "free return" price = $27.75

Guest TabbyBoy

IMHO 1% FVF means a lot more competition and I've always made more money with the standard 10.8% FVF. There is NO WAY that I'd offer free returns as buyers will either take the piss and/or send back incomplete or damaged boxes. Buyers mostly search on price so Top Rated status isn't really needed. However >99.9% feedback is.

eBay seems to forget that it's SELLERS that make them money, not crooks buyers.

Anyhow... Who the hell can be bothered to queue up at the post office every day?

Edited by TabbyBoy

I have always looked to quickly jump through the TRS hoops before, but not this time.

At best I will wait to see the fallout from the guinea pigs first. Analyze the effect on sales, and then decide.

I hear that the underground Internet Scammers Monthly has this on their cover this month (there are really so many dangerous ways to abuse this, that I wouldn't even want to mention them).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, brickolodon said:

eBay always seems as buyers (yes!!!) That make them money...never sellers. Yes indeed, thats why so many perks for them nobody cares about sellers...geez.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

hmm.. do I get it correctly that you despite ebay for protecting the stupid, illiterate (that can not read), scheming, spineless, ever-so-irritating..  buyers so awfully much - because then im 120 % in! Thumbs up

In the past I would automatically make fun of eBay new policies.  However, there are advantages and disadvantages of jumping over eBay's hoops for TRSP and each seller's situation is different.  Everyone should do research and weigh their options carefully to choose what is best for you

I believe that this change is mostly about ebay getting that extra 1% (while also being able to claim improving the buyer experience).

A few years back (I can't recall the exact details), an ebay upper management person slipped up, and mentioned publicly that the previous TRS changes had failed to meet the goals set for lowering the TRS discounts.

It's one thing to frustrate sellers into giving up (which has been the norm), but in this case the change could be bad enough that many TRS will prefer not to participate.

Edited by KShine
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, HollyS said:

This is eBay trying to compete with Amazon and get back some of its declining sales.

I've always thought that one of eBay's biggest challenges is convincing people (new customers) that it's not one big garage sale. 

I've got some really great service from some larger sellers on eBay whereas I've got the bare minimum to keep metrics in check from some Amazon sellers.  I'm not sure this return thing will help draw people in, I probably won't be jumping through this hoop.

1 hour ago, KShine said:

I believe that this change is mostly about ebay getting that extra 1% (while also being able to claim improving the buyer experience).

A few years back (I can't recall the exact details), an ebay upper management person slipped up, and mentioned publicly that the previous TRS changes had failed to meet the goals set for lowering the TRS discounts.

It's one thing to frustrate sellers into giving up (which has been the norm), but in this case the change could be bad enough that many TRS will prefer not to participate.

I just do not see how they still think this way.  They obviously want more sellers to offer extended return and use TRSP as bait.  They are making up that 1% lost by increasing the store subscription costs. :P

• 1 year later...

Now, more than a year later after TRP changes, what do you all think is the best returns policy for LEGO listings on Ebay?  "Best" meaning overall compromise in terms of minimizing your losses, complying with Ebay requirements, going after TRP incentives etc.

For a small seller like myself, returns can be the difference between making profit or taking a hit. Fully refunding shipping costs, also covering for return shipping and possibly receiving back a set with opened bags and missing pieces could be a disaster on big and expensive sets.

I am all for fully refunding buyers if it was seller's mistake, but how do you limit your liability for buyer's remorse returns?

Between "no returns", "15 days, buyer pays shipping", "30 days free returns", "30 days buyer pays shipping", and all other variants, what works best? Do you write your return policy in the listings?

Hoping some seasoned sellers here would share their wisdom. Thank you, guys.

If someone wants to screw you on Ebay, it's going to happen, regardless of how you list it.

I have found that being careful how you ship, packing stuff well, and not sending out junk is the best policy for Ebay. I have never had negative feedback or a return on Ebay.

Edit: one return.....a new Northface hoodie that someone wore to a bonfire and then returned it to me smelling like smoke and said it was too small.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't sell much LEGO on eBay, but I sell most of my items with the 30 day return window.  The percentage of returns I have to deal with on eBay are less than 1% and very, very rare in my experience.  My Amazon FBM orders with a return request are also pretty much nonexistent in the 4+ years I've been selling on that platform.  FBA is another story altogether though.  That seems to be where I get scammed or Amazon fails to properly pack an item for shipping to the customer.  Having said that, half the returns I had via FBA in September and October were never returned to Amazon and I was reimbursed for them.

On 6/4/2018 at 10:58 AM, fuzzy_bricks said:

I've always thought that one of eBay's biggest challenges is convincing people (new customers) that it's not one big garage sale. 

I've got some really great service from some larger sellers on eBay whereas I've got the bare minimum to keep metrics in check from some Amazon sellers.  I'm not sure this return thing will help draw people in, I probably won't be jumping through this hoop.

definitely Amazon is losing it's "Brand New Items" luster...now my wife (who is VERY untechie and operates based on her perceptions) refuses to use Amazon where quality of the product can be readily compromised..for example Dyson or pretty much all electronics, or cosmetics, even clothing