Selling Used Sets - Noting Gray Brick Shade

Okay, so a major lingering question is this issue surrounding gray bricks, both dark and light shades and the switch from the warmer shade, to the "bluish" shade. 

Does anyone combine the two grays when selling Used sets? 

I would assume no, because it would be frustrating, but at the same time I see very little listings that use these gray bricks advertised specifically that they are "light gray" vs "light bluish gray".

For all you sellers who sell "used" sets, do you note this in your listings? Or is combining the shades of a gray a huge no - no?

Thanks for any experiences!

No, No, & No.

You don't see it mentioned much in listings because most buyers would react to the mixed grays as if it were purple - the grays are not the same color, and they clash.

Some sellers piecing together sets don't know the difference - and it is extremely frustrating receiving them.

I suppose that there are some buyers who wouldn't care about the mix - you could state that the listed set includes both the old & new grays to be safe. 

Edited by KShine
  • Like 1

No, No, & No.
You don't see it mentioned much in listings because most buyers would react to the mixed grays as if it were purple - the grays are not the same color, and they clash.
Some sellers piecing together sets don't know the difference - and it is extremely frustrating receiving them.
I suppose that there are some buyers who wouldn't care about the mix - you could state that the listed set includes both the old & new grays to be safe. 

The only buyers that I can think of that would not care about a mix of grays are those that are so color blind that they can’t tell the difference.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KShine said:

No, No, & No.

Good, this is what I thought, but wanted to get some others thoughts on it.

I just figured with how specific you have to be nowadays in your eBay listings, that I would see more callouts claiming "correct shade of gray" etc.

But that is a good point that most people see them as totally different colors (as they should be).

I actually just grabbed a 4483 with mixed grays, bleh..... hopefully I can pull the correct ones from my inventory and still sell for profit.

6 minutes ago, scatttcat said:

I actually just grabbed a 4483 with mixed grays, bleh..... hopefully I can pull the correct ones from my inventory and still sell for profit.

You'll soon see just how annoying and frustrating it can be - After a while, you might find yourself second guessing shades, and spending an hour (or more) searching the house for a 2 cent piece.

• Like 1

Good, this is what I thought, but wanted to get some others thoughts on it.
I just figured with how specific you have to be nowadays in your eBay listings, that I would see more callouts claiming "correct shade of gray" etc.
But that is a good point that most people see them as totally different colors (as they should be).

They are very different but the problem is that you can get confused when looking at all of them as used colors because some will be instantly obvious and others not so because of fading and discoloring.

Get a white piece of paper, find some of each color new/used you’re 100% sure of and then use that as your guide.

Also, there are very few sets that were released in each shade as LEGO made the transition and it’s usually extremely important to get it right.
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, gregpj said:

They are very different but the problem is that you can get confused when looking at all of them as used colors because some will be instantly obvious and others not so because of fading and discoloring.

Get a white piece of paper, find some of each color new/used you’re 100% sure of and then use that as your guide.

Also, there are very few sets that were released in each shade as LEGO made the transition and it’s usually extremely important to get it right.

42 minutes ago, hippielego said:

OH dang,  I didn't know that.  Any examples off the top of your head that have both?  I wanna check out how different they look.

yeahhhh that would be super cool to see! I had no idea either!

OH dang,  I didn't know that.  Any examples off the top of your head that have both?  I wanna check out how different they look.

10030 is the most famous that was produced in both. Off the top of my head, I don’t remember any others but I believe there were very few.