Selling entire childhood collection; lots of Bionicle and old Star Wars

Hello there,

I'm new to this website, so I hope I'm putting this in the right place. I've spent the last couple months digging all my old sets out and seeing how many of them I could put back together, and now I think I'm finally ready to sell 'em! There's about 150 in all; about 2/3 of that is Bionicle, but there's also some old Star Wars, Space Port, Insectoids, RoboRiders, and a few other things. I put together a list of every set by theme here, and since most are missing either the instructions or original packaging, I made a separate list where they're sorted by how intact they are. There's also a pound or two of miscellaneous parts, and a few special parts that I might look into selling individually, but we'll see about that.

If it's okay to negotiate deals here, I'm game! But if not, I'm also looking for advice on how to get the most out of selling all this. Since I have a bunch of full series of Bionicle sets (ex. every Toa Nuva), should I sell them in groups, or would it be smarter to sell them individually? I don't have any experience selling things online, either; what site would you recommend I use (here, eBay, Amazon, Craigslist, etc.)?

Thanks!

20180214_134038(0)2.jpg

I would personally go for separate listings on eBay (you could do Craigslist but you will get low balled). Also if you lot them you won't get a max return, you will just move them quicker. So if you are okay with sitting on them for awhile I would list them individually. However, I would lot some of the smaller star wars stuff, space sets, etc. I doubt you'll make a lot on JUST listing "Bug Blaster" ?

Be specific as possible when listing used sets, i.e. what comes with it and what doesn't, any damages on bricks, if the minifigures are complete, etc. I would also double check the mini figures are the exact ones that came with the sets via bricklink.

As for the Bionicle, I am a little stuck if its better to sell each character individually OR sell them in groups of 6, (like the 6 main toa, 6 baraka), etc.

Hope that helps!

3 hours ago, scatttcat said:

I would personally go for separate listings on eBay (you could do Craigslist but you will get low balled). Also if you lot them you won't get a max return, you will just move them quicker. So if you are okay with sitting on them for awhile I would list them individually. However, I would lot some of the smaller star wars stuff, space sets, etc. I doubt you'll make a lot on JUST listing "Bug Blaster" 1f605.png

Be specific as possible when listing used sets, i.e. what comes with it and what doesn't, any damages on bricks, if the minifigures are complete, etc. I would also double check the mini figures are the exact ones that came with the sets via bricklink.

As for the Bionicle, I am a little stuck if its better to sell each character individually OR sell them in groups of 6, (like the 6 main toa, 6 baraka), etc.

Hope that helps!

It certainly does help. Thanks!

One additional question: in some cases, the prices I'm seeing on eBay and other sites are quite a bit lower than the ones Brickfolio is giving me; how reliable is Brickfolio? Is it well-trusted enough that I can cite it in my posts? Would it actually make a difference if I say something like "according to Brickfolio, this is worth $100, but you can buy it now for $90"?

Edit: Another question: on Amazon, I'm seeing a few cases of used sets being sold by "Lego" itself (example), and for considerably more than on eBay. Is this the result of people like me partnering with Lego to sell them or something? If so, I would assume that the higher price is due to Lego taking a cut of the profits; if this is the case, does anyone know how much that cut might be?

Edited by I_Dig_Giant_Robots

7 minutes ago, I_Dig_Giant_Robots said:

It certainly does help. Thanks!

One additional question: in some cases, the prices I'm seeing on eBay and other sites are quite a bit lower than the ones Brickfolio is giving me; how reliable is Brickfolio? Is it well-trusted enough that I can cite it in my posts? Would it actually make a difference if I say something like "according to Brickfolio, this is worth $100, but you can buy it now for $90"?

The last Brickfolio update includes holiday pricing, which is usually higher. I wouldn't cite the fluctuating Brickfolio pricing in any listings.

8 hours ago, Val-E said:

Use Amazon as a price reference as they have the highest contrasted prices.

I don´t think I´ve ever seen so many Bionicles in one place - not even a clearance bin!

Now I am curious, is Amazon reliable for used prices? And can people sell used lego through Amazon? I am sure now we can't due to the gate though....