Ideas #020: 21313/92177 - Ship In a Bottle

Alpinemaps

Not convinced myself from photos. Bottle should be a cylinder. Also the sea looks like just pouring a pile of 1x1’s. Ship is so so. Probably too critical on my part given the size of the ship. However seems Lego again being a bit lazy if you ask me. Stand looks great. Will no doubt be hoarded to death. Ideas sets seem to be going the way of Star Wars and Modulars now I’m afraid in terms of investment

I think the set looks great... the price point will be interesting. If they market it correctly $39.99 seems like a fair price to me. I'm counting 12 studs wide and deep, and 30ish studs from end to end of the bottle.

But once they inflate the part count with all the 1x1 studs for the water I'd be surprised if this is less than $59.99

7 hours ago, Val-E said:

It´s no coincidence that happened when they became more widely distributed. The last (relatively) exclusive Ideas set was Maze.

Not here in The Netherlands. Ideas is still a theme that's only sold by the LEGO website, and a few small 3rd party owned Lego-focused stores, which sell them for the same price as LEGO does or maybe even priced higher!

8 hours ago, Cheese said:

Not convinced myself from photos. Bottle should be a cylinder. Also the sea looks like just pouring a pile of 1x1’s. Ship is so so. Probably too critical on my part given the size of the ship. However seems Lego again being a bit lazy if you ask me. Stand looks great. Will no doubt be hoarded to death. Ideas sets seem to be going the way of Star Wars and Modulars now I’m afraid in terms of investment

I just added the original to the first post.  I think I like the look of this bottle better.  It seems more cylindrical to me than the original design.

• Like 1

LEGO's design has a very traditional feel. I like it. Also being able to acquire a nice assortment of those transparent dome parts is quite good for many builds. About the studs as water, that is a technique used by many MOCers for I don't know how long. I honestly do not see any other way one could simulate flowing water with LEGO in something so encased.

• Like 1

I just added the original to the first post.  I think I like the look of this bottle better.  It seems more cylindrical to me than the original design.

The ship in the original design was better and looks a lot more detailed but with that likely more brittle and harder to build
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2017 at 3:58 PM, Alpinemaps said:

I thought this looked ok until I saw the original. The original is fantastic, especially the boat. The boat in the final release looks like a polybag set. Too bad. 

On 12/27/2017 at 3:58 PM, Alpinemaps said:

If you examine the original, it is larger - bottle is wider and longer and of course the ship itself is longer and taller.  LEGO also turned the bottle flat instead of at an angle so you lose height to the ship.  It looks like LEGO removed a clear cylinder quarter 4x4x6 piece from the length (only 2 vs the proposed 3).  And it looks like the width lost a little too; can't tell if it lost a 4x4 or a 2x2 in the width.

The stand looks like it is only 10 bricks long (between uprights) vs the proposed 16 bricks.  That means the ship itself is around 2/3 the proposed length.  However, turning the bottle on its side, I wonder just how much height was lost.  The original looks awesome, this one looks like a barge.

I think the biggest disappointment to me is loosing the rigging.  That added detail truly made this look like a real ship in a bottle.

I guess we'll have to wait for the actual release but I fear this was an awesome idea that LEGO just neutered.

Here's the press release for the next LEGO Ideas set:

21313 Ship in a Bottle, 962 pieces
US $69.99 - CA $89.99 - DE 69.99€ - UK £69.99 - DK 599.00 DKK
Available from 1st Feb. No VIP early access.

Create a timeless classic with LEGO bricks!

Show you are a true craftsman when you create a Ship in a Bottle with LEGO bricks! Build this beautiful ship named ‘Leviathan’, including the captain’s quarters, masts, crow’s nest, sails, flag and 6 cannons. Place it inside the brick-built bottle, featuring a buildable cork and wax seal. Then showcase your nostalgic, nautical creation on the display stand, complete with the ship’s nameplate and a compass with a spinning needle.

• Features a LEGO brick-built bottle, ship and a display stand.
  • Bottle features a detailed, buildable cork with NEW wax-seal-style element and over 280 translucent-blue, water-style elements inside.
  • Ship features a raised deck at the stern, captain’s quarters, 6 cannons, 3 masts, a crow’s nest and assorted elements including printed sails and the ship’s flag.
  • Display stand features the ship’s ‘Leviathan’ nameplate, a built-in ‘compass’ (non-functioning) with detailed compass rose and spinning gold-colored needle, 2 globe elements and gold-colored detailing.
  • Includes a booklet with building instructions, plus information about the set’s fan creator and LEGO designers.
  • Bottle on stand measures over 3" (10cm) high, 12” (31cm) wide and 3” (10cm) deep.
  • Ship measures over 3" (8cm) high, 5” (14cm) long and 1” (5cm) wide.

21313_Box3_v29.jpg

The ship is a POS. Looks like something you would get in a Xmas 24 in 1 or a polybag. Look forward to seeing what Lego tax is applied to us too considering they raised S5 10 euros today already. I guess 85 euros should do it. Actually no lego tax, which is nice. 70 euros.

I put this set in the Maze category -low demand can be equalled by short production life.

Edited by Val-E

If I didn't know what the original ship looked like, I would say this set is pretty great. Not really awesome as the ship still looks very medium level builder status. It's ok looking but I think there could have been an attempt as making the details less "Lego" and more natural.

• Like 1

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #020: 21313/92177 - Ship In a Bottle