Online stores or Offline stores?

Hueypiano

Hi, I was wondering how anyone here feels about how best to manage one's available time when it comes to finding deals on legos, or any products really, in the multitude of online or offline stores you can visit. I've noticed people here talk about major clearances people have found at their local stores, but from what I understand I'm not guaranteed to find the same great deal at my local walmart or target etc. that you did at yours while a link to a great deal on Amazon will work for virtually anyone who sees it assuming the deal is still going on. I don't really have a reason to go out to retail stores for any other reason, so there's a good chance I could go out to a local store of mine and waste gas and time just to find out the deal I had heard about is not available around me, so would you guys say it is a personal choice? or would it still be profitable to peruse my local stores from time to time and see if i get lucky? I guess what I'm really driving at is that I've only just started and I've bought all my sets thus far from Amazon, and I feel like maybe I'm just missing out on some hidden benefits of going out to my local places, or maybe I should just stick to places like Amazon and Ebay and maybe invest into getting better discounts just there like with Amazon prime if it's worth it. Anything you guys have to say on the matter would be great, so thanks! Also sorry if this has been brought up already

You're not alone. The majority of my sets are from Amazon. With 3% cashback (Amazon rewards), free shipping, no taxes. Plus they price-match other retail stores quickly if you notify them about it. Amazon has awesome business model and that's why they do so well. Like you probably, I'm a busy guy who do not have time to physically visit stores in clearance section from time to time, but if I happen to be in Target, Walmart, etc for whatever reason, you can bet I'll be checking out their clearance section. But most of the time I walk away empty-handed.

Hi, I was wondering how anyone here feels about how best to manage one's available time when it comes to finding deals on legos, or any products really, in the multitude of online or offline stores you can visit. I've noticed people here talk about major clearances people have found at their local stores, but from what I understand I'm not guaranteed to find the same great deal at my local walmart or target etc. that you did at yours while a link to a great deal on Amazon will work for virtually anyone who sees it assuming the deal is still going on.

I don't really have a reason to go out to retail stores for any other reason, so there's a good chance I could go out to a local store of mine and waste gas and time just to find out the deal I had heard about is not available around me, so would you guys say it is a personal choice? or would it still be profitable to peruse my local stores from time to time and see if i get lucky?

I guess what I'm really driving at is that I've only just started and I've bought all my sets thus far from Amazon, and I feel like maybe I'm just missing out on some hidden benefits of going out to my local places, or maybe I should just stick to places like Amazon and Ebay and maybe invest into getting better discounts just there like with Amazon prime if it's worth it.

Anything you guys have to say on the matter would be great, so thanks! Also sorry if this has been brought up already

Shopping local has many benefits, but many disadvantages like you previously stated. One of the interesting parts of shopping local is that the deals are not always the same. Though you sometimes may wish all the clearances of Walmart or Target were centralized, as many of us do, its also fun to have to look out on your own for set.

Since shopping local will get you a larget "enjoyment factor" since you actually get to see the sets, I would shop local.

Also, the clearance prices at a store may not compare to a price that you would get at Amazon.

A combination of both is probably a good idea, though I generally lean towards local.

;-)

Oh, wow! Target has price matching online too? How does that work? It is a sweet deal with the 5% off with a Redcard too!

I think you may have misunderstood me. Before, Target only priced matched items from printed ads in the weeks before Christmas. In early January, they announced they would price match online competitors like Amazon. You can't price match on Target's website, only in stores.

Oh, wow! Target has price matching online too? How does that work? It is a sweet deal with the 5% off with a Redcard too!

I think you may have misunderstood me. Before, Target only priced matched items from printed ads in the weeks before Christmas. In early January, they announced they would price match online competitors like Amazon. You can't price match on Target's website, only in stores. Ohh. Thanks for the clarification. I was beginning to wonder how I had missed something so big.

A combination of online and in store is the best way, but in store deals are usually for unpopular sets that collected dust. I find Amazon and eBay the best places to find deals. eBay can be a gold mine if you search relentlessly. I just won a $800 LEGO set lot for $475....no tax....shipping included. It pays to search on eBay.

The fact of the matter is like any other good buy, you are going to have to put some effort in to find the good deals. Very rarely will you find an effortless deal on any hot item. (Lego or not.) Just stop by the store when you drive by. No need for an out of the way trip. When you're already in the area swing on by...

when you guys search amazon and ebay for great deals like that, how exactly do you do it? Just type in "lego" into ebay and such then just scroll and be patient?

You kinda have to have an idea of particular sets to search for them. You can type in LEGO and scan through thousands of listings, but that is a waste of time. I type in "LEGO SET LOT" and start looking. Get ready to add up set prices from lots using the Price Guide to find good deals.

For what is my "business model" I prefer to keep an eye on the retail stores in my town and adjacent areas .... For many reasons ... The main one is that I started out as a hunter of vintage toys and the greatest satisfaction is found in a dusty old box store some long forgotten ... Just a few days ago I found a box of Transformers Dinoking replicas, of course, not original Takara but knock off made in Taiwan beginning of the 80's ... The shopkeeper gave me the full content for less than one euro a piece ... think that each blister is sold at 60