Good buy?

Hello all, I just recently got back in Lego with my son. I have been trolling the forums for a few weeks now and decided it was time to start interacting as I am looking at the long term investment aspect that Lego now presents. Browsing a local classified I found this post and was wondering if it worth it. Any help would be appreciated as I am still learning. Total weight is 16.4 pounds. No books. Hour drive from my place.

Thanks!!!

c30f14562f3324e56f22a13b7586aaca.jpg6be131c9a82346470c77da6e75adf150.jpg

1 hour ago, PringleNation said:

I have been trolling the forums for a few weeks now

Autocorrect?

Anyway, welcome :)

Very difficult to tell if it's worth it or not without you providing a price. Though I would instantly say no just because of the sheer amount of work to sort all that. Even if you plan on selling individual bricks, you'd have to look up all the exact part numbers unless you were very familiar with Lego bricks.

• Like 1

well, at 16lbs (which is probably 12 without the bin), there's allot of off-brand non-Lego parts in there to also exclude. even at $3 bulk lot buy-in you're looking at about maybe $25 worth of Lego, all of it appears to be generic penny elements too, so not much resale/investment value - less 2 hours of your time driving there & back, - fuel & food costs, minus cleaning time, minus sorting time, minus listing/selling/shipping fees... that lot is probably minus $75-100 bucks or so just for the fun of it. 

wouldn't bother really.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lordoflego said:

Plastic box is a green train ;) that blue round pod is from the small series....of...of pods lol, seriously though.

the grey set with big wheel in front and small in back (the set that's still together) that's some Star Wars tank or whatever that SW vehicle is called. 

Ok so I found the big wheel thing is 75015..

For your first bulk lot, I would recommend something a little more organized. At a minimum some instruction manuals, especially for some medium to large sets.  That will at least give you a target for potential value for complete sets.  My first lot was mostly constructed and was about 25 sets with instructions that I got for $200.  It took a ton of time to break down each set, determine which pieces & figures were missing, order replacement parts from Bricklink (before I had spares), bag, list, and sell.  I spent about $150 in parts and have sold about 20 of the sets and am up about $100 over costs with about $300 worth of sets left that haven't sold.  It's been about 8 months. That's what you might expect for an organized lot.  With a large bin of mixed pieces, in 6 months you'll likely have a large bin of pieces.  Unless you're looking to sell individual pieces on BL, which I have no experience in.

Made my first used bulk purchase tonight. Think I did alright. A lot of retired city sets all bagged with instructions and 5 Atlantis sets. $125.
a01b29c274557948c6d4a3a9b252720b.jpg

I'll put a list together of everything in an update. Going through the first set and making sure all pieces are in there. All bags appeared to have their mini figs

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Devo said:

Can get the Technic 24 hour race hour new in box for 103....good deal?

Pros:

1) Retired

2) MSRP is $130, so you have 20% off

Cons:

3) Technic.

Have you checked sold prices on EBay? That gives you an idea of whether this is worth jumping on. Unless of course you are buying to build, in that case, just go for it.

13 hours ago, PringleNation said:

Made my first used bulk purchase tonight. Think I did alright. A lot of retired city sets all bagged with instructions and 5 Atlantis sets. $125.
a01b29c274557948c6d4a3a9b252720b.jpg

I'll put a list together of everything in an update. Going through the first set and making sure all pieces are in there. All bags appeared to have their mini figs

Log truck 60059-1 in upper right = $40 used. 

Edited by Thumper