USPS vs. UPS for shipping LEGO sets

Jackson

I can ship a typical large set like Dino HQ, Black Pearl, Helm's Deep, Vampyre Castle, etc anywhere in the continental US for $13-$!6 via USPS. I live in the mid-west on the Ohio River.

Is that shipping it parcel post or priority mail? I find Fedex or UPS the way to go compared to priority, I've never shipped anything parcel post yet.

usps always. Especially now with usps giving free tracking on any package whether its priority or parcel. I just shipped a set to Russia. It cost me 79.00 dollars through usps. It was over 500.00 with either fedex or ups. Always go postal serviceof oversees, but only ship to trustworthy countries.

Fed ex juSt integrated with Ebay so you can do fedex the same way you do USPS and UPS now...I used it today and fedex was 3 bucks cheaper than USPS. USPS just changed their prices and it seems like if you are shipping within a few states, USPS is the way to go. The further the distance and the larger the shipment, the more UPS and FEdex become a better option. Ordering your fedex through ebay also saves you 12%? 15%? off their normal costs. They all offer free boxes when using their services.

Is that shipping it parcel post or priority mail? I find Fedex or UPS the way to go compared to priority, I've never shipped anything parcel post yet.

That's USPS parcel post. I don't ship priority, unless it's cheaper.

Parcel Post no longer exists... It's Parcel Post Select which means most of the time they only offer priority now...It's actually really confusing to me now.

Confusing to me too, obviously. I usually just say whatever is cheapest, unless I'm offering it insured with tracking.

They literally just switched it. I imagine most people have no clue. I only learned b/c i spent 30 mins trying to figure out why Parcel post wasn't offered on the shipping drop down. Thought i did something wrong...

Do you not print your shipping through ebay?

Re earlier post that FedEx offers free boxes when you use them. Do you mean you can walk into one of their locations with say a box of Legos and have them put the box into one of their shipping boxes? Would you also be able to walk in with your own bubble wrap, shipping tape, etc., or have to pay for their supplies. Could you ask for a box, take it home and return it ready to be shipped?

Re earlier post that FedEx offers free boxes when you use them. Do you mean you can walk into one of their locations with say a box of Legos and have them put the box into one of their shipping boxes? Would you also be able to walk in with your own bubble wrap, shipping tape, etc., or have to pay for their supplies. Could you ask for a box, take it home and return it ready to be shipped?

I have never used Fedex or UPS boxes. I literally just figured out how easy it was to choose between all the shippers on ebay. (I am sure I have lost a few hundred bucks in shipping over the last year b/c i paid for the higher fees instead of using the right shipper.) However, my understanding is the boxes that both offer are comparable in size to the free boxes that USPS offer, which are on the smaller side.

Yes, you can walk in to any shipping location with you own packing supplies and use the free boxes available. I imagine you will have to put the lego sets into the box and fill out the paper work yourself. (I have never and would never ask them to do that :) Most of the free boxes I have seen come with tape already built on the parts of the box that need it.

Be careful you use the correct box!! I have made that mistake too! I think I've made every shipping mistake possible at least once. (...Used a flat rate priority shipping box as opposed to a just normal...reused a priority box to ship parcel post...tried to connect two flat rate boxes together for shipping...all no-nos apparently.)

Better yet, once you have your system down, you can have all this stuff delivered and picked up from your door. I have about 50 boxes coming from the post office as we speak. They are on the smaller side but I sell all sorts of toys, not just Lego sets.

I have never used Fedex or UPS boxes. I literally just figured out how easy it was to choose between all the shippers on ebay. (I am sure I have lost a few hundred bucks in shipping over the last year b/c i paid for the higher fees instead of using the right shipper.) However, my understanding is the boxes that both offer are comparable in size to the free boxes that USPS offer, which are on the smaller side.

Yes, you can walk in to any shipping location with you own packing supplies and use the free boxes available. I imagine you will have to put the lego sets into the box and fill out the paper work yourself. (I have never and would never ask them to do that :) Most of the free boxes I have seen come with tape already built on the parts of the box that need it.

Be careful you use the correct box!! I have made that mistake too! I think I've made every shipping mistake possible at least once. (...Used a flat rate priority shipping box as opposed to a just normal...reused a priority box to ship parcel post...tried to connect two flat rate boxes together for shipping...all no-nos apparently.)

Better yet, once you have your system down, you can have all this stuff delivered and picked up from your door. I have about 50 boxes coming from the post office as we speak. They are on the smaller side but I sell all sorts of toys, not just Lego sets.

Just received a set the other day this way. It wasn't brand new or an investment, so it wasn't a huge deal, but I had to about pry the damn thing out.

They literally just switched it. I imagine most people have no clue. I only learned b/c i spent 30 mins trying to figure out why Parcel post wasn't offered on the shipping drop down. Thought i did something wrong...

No, I don't use the shipping methods or labels on EBay. I think I tried a long time ago, but the cheapest options were never listed and I just got used to printing my own label and having it figured up at the post office.

I can guesstimate on their website now, since my digital scale arrived yesterday.

I've been buying and selling on EBay for over 10 years. I might have put a little more work into it than needed, but it's appeared to be easy thus far.

No, I don't use the shipping methods or labels on EBay. I think I tried a long time ago, but the cheapest options were never listed and I just got used to printing my own label and having it figured up at the post office.

I can guesstimate on their website now, since my digital scale arrived yesterday.

I've been buying and selling on EBay for over 10 years. I might have put a little more work into it than needed, but it's appeared to be easy thus far.

I just too ordered a scale. Just arrived today. I find that the prices eBay quotes when you print a shipping label are always higher than if you just go to the post office. Then again maybe I am doing something wrong.