Starting to brick pick

Long-time lego fan here. I still own many of the classic space sets from my youth including Galaxy Explorer and Galaxy Commander (although they couldn't be further from Mint condition ;-). I can still vividly recall the excitement of getting a new lego catalog, marking items for my wishlist and ultimately getting a big set for my birthday or Christmas. I have a son who's finally arrived in the Lego age bracket and I love his excitement when he gets a new set.

I've never lost interest in Lego, but rediscovered it as an AFOL activity over the past two years, following a couple builders on Flickr and buying two sets to build for my own enjoyment: Tydirium Shuttle and Millenium Falcon.

Then I read about brick investing and was intrigued. Most of my money currently is invested in real estate and stocks, but here's an investment vehicle I actually care and know something about. So after joining this site and doing a bit of research I bought my first couple of sets for investment today. I'll keep it small initially as I get some experience. I've read up on the blog posts and scanned the forum a bit and realize a couple folks feel bearish, so want to take it slow. But hey, I'm excited :-)

Love the site, the community seems great from first impressions and the Brickfolio is really neat. If I had one wish in terms of features it'd be a watchlist. I want to track some sets before I commit.

Anyway, glad I found this site and look forward to connecting.   

• Like 1

Welcome! Yes, there is a general bearishness among many (well founded) - but the likelihood of losing $ is still (in my opinion) relatively low (even in a worst case scenario).

So even though the returns might not end up being worth the time and effort - having little if any risk, while enjoying what you're doing, is a win.

2 hours ago, KShine said:

Welcome! Yes, there is a general bearishness among many (well founded) - but the likelihood of losing $ is still (in my opinion) relatively low (even in a worst case scenario).

So even though the returns might not end up being worth the time and effort - having little if any risk, while enjoying what you're doing, is a win.

Yep, that's what I figure. I'm planning to hold on to the sets for a good while and not sell all that much and I've picked sets I'd enjoy myself if all else fails. I understand from reading some threads that many of you stock up in bulk on specific sets and that it's less hassle/higher productivity to sell fewer sets in larger numbers. I'm buying max 3 at this time. Anything inherently wrong with that? 

I also have a relatively finite list of sets I'm interested in and have ensured 30%+ discount on the stuff I bought today.

Thanks for the welcome everybody, btw.