Dad looking for set for daughter!

I am looking to get a set for my daughter I made this  video to show what is currently available in my local toy store (the week before christmas). Her Birthday is in February so I can wait until after all of the Christmas madness. But I am looking for any suggestions for set series to get into with her. I am thinking I am gonna have to bite the bullet and go for the disney princesses one, but was wondering if there was a more gender neutral one that would also work?

TIA!

30 minutes ago, playandreviewtoys said:

I am thinking I am gonna have to bite the bullet and go for the disney princesses one, but was wondering if there was a more gender neutral one that would also work?

I sold a Friends set to a mom for her son the other day and one of my co-worker's daughter is crazy about Ninjago. So I guess all Lego sets are gender neutral :)

• Like 3

Not sure we (at least me) will be definitively helpful.

My 10yr old in the past has done the doll house style play with any set, including a City Arctic Base. She hasn't been a self directed builder with sets or Mocs.

Last year I got her a Parisian Cafe. We took weeks building it together. This year we got her a Buckingham Palace (we went to UK last spring). I expect it will be something we do together and she will display in her room (something she generally does).

I would think you're in the duplo camp for now, but you might try juniors.

• Like 1

FWIW, my daughter is 8 and we started with some Cars Duplo when she was probably 2 or 3. Her interests with Lego have been mainly with Chima (she loves anything with animals) and most recently Minecraft. She has had one small Friends set and an Elves set (that had a fox in it). If a set has a fox or wolf or a dog that looks like a fox or wolf in it, she wants it.

We have friends who have a 2 year old boy. We have a bin of Duplo for him to play with when he comes over. I think my daughter has as much fun or more than him when playing with the Duplo. So I guess my point is, don't assume you should skip the Duplo because it could be something she likes to come back to even when she is "too old" for it.

• Like 2

Sam's Club has the girls junior Lego set on sale for $15. It's a nice easy set,  no stickers,  comes with a horse and it's own container to hold the bricks. Makes for a great starting set.

This or the juniors house. My son is 2 and doesn't help build, but his favorite things to play with are houses. He likes the Juniors house and LOVES my Pet Shop, though I don't advise starting with Modulars unless you want to build one.
  • Like 2