[MOC] I Am Your Father...

dimnico

9 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Have you done anything yet to protect your ideas? You're sitting on a gold mine if you get moving on this ;-)

Another great job!

How could I protect them? I am really torn at the moment between uploading a lot of my work onto Lego Ideas or trying to sell independently...If I post onto Lego Ideas then lego effectively own the rights to the design, build, idea etc but if I sell independently am I going to run into a whole host of problems with copyright etc - I really dont want a visit from a pee'd off Mickey mouse ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dcdfan said:

I was talking about "ideas" not ownership. I think the entire world is fully aware Disney owns Star Wars. emoji849.png

There is probably some dark, secret contract with really small print somewhere that makes sure Disney owns us all, ideas and everything! ;) They own pretty much everything else right?! 

5 minutes ago, Dorrie59 said:

I absolutely love this build. Looks great and one of my favorite scenes in the films. I am a SW LEGO fan with a lot of sets. I am also a Star Wars movie fan and have been since the first movie came out. 

Thanks mate, appreciate the comments! 

Guest TabbyBoy
15 minutes ago, dimnico said:

How could I protect them? I am really torn at the moment between uploading a lot of my work onto Lego Ideas or trying to sell independently...If I post onto Lego Ideas then lego effectively own the rights to the design, build, idea etc but if I sell independently am I going to run into a whole host of problems with copyright etc - I really dont want a visit from a pee'd off Mickey mouse ;)

You're obviously very talented and it's not just Star Wars that you can focus on. I think that a theme called say, "Star Wars Scenes" would be a great idea and perhaps you should run this past LEGO as these would be very collectible (I'd buy all you have made so far!) if put in a nice arty-farty box with perhaps a booklet explaining that scene. Yes, we have that restricting thing called copyright but, it would be nice if LEGO could work with you on this.

I'm looking forward to seeing your 10,000 likes on IDEAS and one of your sets making it to production ;-) A "collection" of say, 4 Star Wars scenes in one set for £49.99 would be a nice idea.

I see that "Bright Bricks" make custom Cathedral, Bridge & Hotel sets and I'm not sure if or how they got permission from the Bishop or Architect/Developer. As long as you cover yourself, it's worth pursuing.

19 hours ago, Catherine Hallé said:

I love your build I Am Your Father. I really feel an impression of hight and minifigures are displayed with a lot of dynamic. Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy looking at nice MOCs like this one.

Thanks so much! Glad you like it! 

On 12/13/2016 at 4:10 PM, TabbyBoy said:

You're obviously very talented and it's not just Star Wars that you can focus on. I think that a theme called say, "Star Wars Scenes" would be a great idea and perhaps you should run this past LEGO as these would be very collectible (I'd buy all you have made so far!) if put in a nice arty-farty box with perhaps a booklet explaining that scene. Yes, we have that restricting thing called copyright but, it would be nice if LEGO could work with you on this.

I'm looking forward to seeing your 10,000 likes on IDEAS and one of your sets making it to production ;-) A "collection" of say, 4 Star Wars scenes in one set for £49.99 would be a nice idea.

I see that "Bright Bricks" make custom Cathedral, Bridge & Hotel sets and I'm not sure if or how they got permission from the Bishop or Architect/Developer. As long as you cover yourself, it's worth pursuing.

Thanks again. I would love Lego to work with me on these! Thats the dream but I am a long way off the 10,000 mark at the moment! 

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 10:46 AM, dimnico said:

How could I protect them? I am really torn at the moment between uploading a lot of my work onto Lego Ideas or trying to sell independently...If I post onto Lego Ideas then lego effectively own the rights to the design, build, idea etc but if I sell independently am I going to run into a whole host of problems with copyright etc - I really dont want a visit from a pee'd off Mickey mouse

Anything uploaded to LEGO Ideas can essentially be considered as handing over ownership of your creation(s) regardless of passing or not. While it may be possible to at least sell the instructions should the submission fail, who knows what sort of hoops you would need to go through just to reinstate control back like Crowkillers' Technic supercar submission "Vampire GT" from when the site was still CUUSOO Beta. I do not understand how but the matter was resolved somehow in the end and you can see the model's manual available again.

For the most part, LEGO Ideas is a good thing especially for anyone not in a position to go through all the steps to showcase their work (or perhaps all they have is the one good idea to showoff). At the same time though Ideas could be considered simply to a "shark tank" or "dragons' den" with you trying to pitch a concept primarily to the company but also to everybody else.

I believe if you have a lot of good designs then being independent is the better option. There are a number of builders who build commissioned works and/or creations based on copyrighted or real world material. Brickmania sells kits based on just about every military vehicle known to man (past & present). Citizen Brick is possibly most known for their Breaking Bad "inspired" custom minifigures and lab. Eric DRUON (BaronSat) may be the best example as many of his available designs are obviously from a certain source material yet gets by under alternate unofficial names. Shoot, you can find instructions for a handful of custom Battlestar Galactica Viper starships on eBay. I have not searched through BrickLink's MOC section lately but I imagine a lot of license influenced items can be found there.

22 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:
Anything uploaded to LEGO Ideas can essentially be considered as handing over ownership of your creation(s) regardless of passing or not. While it may be possible to at least sell the instructions should the submission fail, who knows what sort of hoops you would need to go through just to reinstate control back like Crowkillers' Technic supercar submission "Vampire GT" from when the site was still CUUSOO Beta. I do not understand how but the matter was resolved somehow in the end and you can see the model's manual available again.

For the most part, LEGO Ideas is a good thing especially for anyone not in a position to go through all the steps to showcase their work (or perhaps all they have is the one good idea to showoff). At the same time though Ideas could be considered simply to a "shark tank" or "dragons' den" with you trying to pitch a concept primarily to the company but also to everybody else.

I believe if you have a lot of good designs then being independent is the better option. There are a number of builders who build commissioned works and/or creations based on copyrighted or real world material. Brickmania sells kits based on just about every military vehicle known to man (past & present). Citizen Brick is possibly most known for their Breaking Bad "inspired" custom minifigures and lab. Eric DRUON (BaronSat) may be the best example as many of his available designs are obviously from a certain source material yet gets by under alternate unofficial names. Shoot, you can find instructions for a handful of custom Battlestar Galactica Viper starships on eBay. I have not searched through BrickLink's MOC section lately but I imagine a lot of license influenced items can be found there.

Brilliant! Thank you so much for the advice. I really appreciate all the help you guys are offering.