[MOC] The Phantom Menace - A Saga Begins

dimnico

Buy the parts. Make an instruction book (PDF). Sell. Become rich. Rinse and repeat...

Awesome job like always. I would think about selling these open up your own BL or eBay store and make extra $ on the side. It's great that you enjoy building and don't do it for the money but nothing wrong with getting paid for your work! An artist has to eat? Lol

Good job once again!

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Lego Templar said:

Buy the parts. Make an instruction book (PDF). Sell. Become rich. Rinse and repeat...

Awesome job like always. I would think about selling these open up your own BL or eBay store and make extra $ on the side. It's great that you enjoy building and don't do it for the money but nothing wrong with getting paid for your work! An artist has to eat? Lol

Good job once again!

Thanks again buddy! Haha! 

I am hearing this same thing from a lot of different sources now. I think maybe its time to start selling my stuff! Just out of interest what would you pay for something like this?

I am hearing this same thing from a lot of different sources now. I think maybe its time to start selling my stuff! Just out of interest what would you pay for something like this?

The only thing I have similar to this is the Throne of Ultron. I paid 125 dollars for that but was a SDCC exclusive. I think there would be a lot of factors and not a set price per one. Some mini figs are worth more than others so that would affect the overall price. Also piece count comes into play (I'm sure 90% of the stuff you make has roughly the same amount of pieces) best way is to tally up "how much did this cost me to make" once you have that number I would times it by 3.

Why I say that is because your time is money, shipping, eBay or other fees, etc. let's say it cost 20 dollars I think trying the market at 59.99 is a start. After shipping and fees you still come out at least 100% return. Now if you can get your cost for the MOC down to like 10 bucks I would shoot for the 40-50 dollar range and let the market decide the price.

Really comes down to how much time you have and if it's worth it. Obviously the first one will take the longest but afterwards the build should become second nature and maybe what 15-20 minutes per one? This can grow to as big as you want it to be. Selling one a week is extra money you didn't have and it funds your passion just like it does for a lot of us.

Don't want to take up this entire thread so feel free to PM me and I can try and help the best I can. Most important thing I can't stress enough is know your numbers! "This MOC cost me 12 dollars to make and took 20 minutes to build. I want to make minimum 100% return on my time and idea so I will need to sell it for roughly 40 dollars to make that and cover all my fees".

It's funny how my brain works..thinking of ideas to get it out like adding it to those subscriber based Lego things "This months MOC" lol. Anyway good job and if you have any business related questions or want to bounce ideas off me I'm more than happy to listen/help. Once again awesome work!

48 minutes ago, dimnico said:

You're hearing it because the displays are generally fantastic, just the right size and fill a niche that LEGO has been hesitant to fill aside from the SDCC exclusives. 

The only thing you need to be careful of is using hard to find or very expensive parts. I'm not sure if you've done that but it could be a deal breaker.

I'd buy some of your completed models. For what price? That's always the question but I like @Lego Templar's logic. :)

• Like 1

The fact you built the shadow into the design makes it all the more interesting. Most would simply take the easier route by building the scenery then adding the shadow in as an overlay with a type of paint program. (Come to think of it, that way probably has been done.) Too bad those short 'kid' legs do not give any ability to bend even a little to achieve the original poster pose, and while there is a side satchel sort of minifigure accessory to possibly mimic his it may seem too large for the scale.

18 hours ago, gregpj said:

You're hearing it because the displays are generally fantastic, just the right size and fill a niche that LEGO has been hesitant to fill aside from the SDCC exclusives. 

The only thing you need to be careful of is using hard to find or very expensive parts. I'm not sure if you've done that but it could be a deal breaker.

I'd buy some of your completed models. For what price? That's always the question but I like @Lego Templar's logic. :)

Thanks so much! I totally agree, @legotemplar logic has swayed it for me. I am currently starting to make some pdf instructions of sets already! 

13 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:

The fact you built the shadow into the design makes it all the more interesting. Most would simply take the easier route by building the scenery then adding the shadow in as an overlay with a type of paint program. (Come to think of it, that way probably has been done.) Too bad those short 'kid' legs do not give any ability to bend even a little to achieve the original poster pose, and while there is a side satchel sort of minifigure accessory to possibly mimic his it may seem too large for the scale.

Thanks! After looking at the design again I think the shadow could potentially be even better, might just make a few tweaks (it may or may not work!) 

I agree with you about the legs, it would be nice if anakin's head was looking down but you cant have everything! I did actually try the satchel accessory but as you mentioned it was slightly too big and also the anakin mini fig does actually have a little bag printed on his side anyway! (you just cant see it from this angle!)

This is a really nice scene, and well done. Only thing that I could potentially see to have some improvement is the way the shadow is made. Have you tried filling the gaps with tan slopes to make the shadow appear on the wall instead of in an alcove (likely requires some SNOT magic to make it fit)? Alternatively, have you tried using bricks with studs on sides in the wall and making the shadow out of plates stuck against the wall?

13 minutes ago, Phil B said:

This is a really nice scene, and well done. Only thing that I could potentially see to have some improvement is the way the shadow is made. Have you tried filling the gaps with tan slopes to make the shadow appear on the wall instead of in an alcove (likely requires some SNOT magic to make it fit)? Alternatively, have you tried using bricks with studs on sides in the wall and making the shadow out of plates stuck against the wall?

Hey Phil, I have actually tried the first technique you suggested and the slopes dont quite fit. The only way they do is if you just slide them into the gaps and have them not actually attached to anything...However I really like your second idea and that was something I didnt think of! I think this MOC needs a little bit of tweaking before its perfect! 

As always I really appreciate your comments, as I am pretty new to MOC building (if you dont include the multi coloured space ships I used to build as a kid!) I love getting as much advice as possible!

• Like 1