Your thoughts on LEGO Investing?

cobi

Like most of you, I believe, I am new to LEGO investing. I have been watching pretty closely the sets I am most intrested in. Come on, we all think if we like it everyone else should too, right? I am learning that I need to think "out of the box". I have started to buy sets that I really won't enjoy building if I am stuck with, but maybe I can make a little money for myself to spend on the sets I want to build. Thank goodness I have Grandkids that Love Lego. I am intrested in anyones thoughts as to how they decide what to buy. Is it price? Is it just what you like? Do you follow ebay sales? Do you watch Amazon? Do you watch lego.com? Do you listen to what everyone else is doing? I myself have purchased quite a few sets, and still have not decided how I am going to try to sell them. I think I might be going at this backwards. Any shared thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Like most of you, I believe, I am new to LEGO investing. I have been watching pretty closely the sets I am most intrested in. Come on, we all think if we like it everyone else should too, right? I am learning that I need to think "out of the box". I have started to buy sets that I really won't enjoy building if I am stuck with, but maybe I can make a little money for myself to spend on the sets I want to build. Thank goodness I have Grandkids that Love Lego. I am intrested in anyones thoughts as to how they decide what to buy. Is it price? Is it just what you like? Do you follow ebay sales? Do you watch Amazon? Do you watch lego.com? Do you listen to what everyone else is doing? I myself have purchased quite a few sets, and still have not decided how I am going to try to sell them. I think I might be going at this backwards. Any shared thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I pick sets I think will do well based on gut feel, advice from here and past examples, in conjunction with what I personally like just in case I end up opening myself.

A lot of questions - and I have but one answer for you: hang out with us, you'll learn along the process! :)

This aside, I'll try to answer some questions - remember, they represent only my personal views and not necessarily everyone else's. I am also a newbie LEGO investor myself.

How I decide what to buy, is it price? Yes, big part of it. Many of us try to buy sets under MSRP - 20% or more is usually the sweet spot for me.

Is it just what I like? Yes, also big part of it. There are so many sets out there with return potentials, that can be found under MSRP, and clearly I don't want to buy every single one of those (some people here do, I'm not as devoted as them. Money isn't issue, it's more of time and space issues). So I end up buying what I think are truly cool and something I want to build. Chances are good other collectors will feel the same way.

Do I follow ebay, Amazon, LEGO.com sales? Somewhat, but not as big factor as others.

Do I listen to what everybody else is doing? I do pay attention to what everybody else is doing, but I can't just buy every set I see in the threads, so I just go with "buy cool sets under MSRP" rule.

Hope this helps ;)

Thanks, it helps a lot. I am not looking to get rich on LEGO investing, It is just such a fun hobby, why not try to make some money at what you love doing. I have been very fortunate to have a career that I have always enjoyed and have fun at. This is icing on the cake!!

At 1st I was collecting sets that I do like and that's fine, as I collected more and longer and reading the forums on here I've opened my eyes to other themes and sets. It's just like playing the stocks. I understand buying the themes you do like so if its not worth much then you can always build it and enjoy it. But that to me is not how you would think if you are investing. I look for something that is special in its own way or what I think will be hot later on. Just because I like Star Wars doesn't mean all will make big money. There are other themed sets they will have better returns because the set is EPIC!!! For example Helms Deep or the Haunted House or Jabbass Palace. Even that 5 year run Death Star will become big money but that one has to wait a little longer. Remember making money is thinking outside the box. Friends set Olivia's house will be big money this Xmas or next Xmas. For example Sebulba pod racer not very good investment millenium falcon is real good. Important to always remember is usually big sets do well...exclusive minifigs...Important Scene (epic) scene in a movie...Or just look at the set that look sooooo damn cool being displayed ie Haunted house or Vampyre Castle. Building Modulars will do good. NINJAGO and FRIENDS are hot with kids so parents will buy them to keep them happy. Another thing is don't buy MSRP unless you have no choice. Oh and that Arkham Asylum is a big money maker along with UCS r2d2. Movie theme sets usually do good. Concentrate you money on those. Keep eyes open for Amazon, Target, Walmart, and TRU. This site on the home page also has discount info at those stores so that helps. Hope this helps you out.

Before anything else. I look at a set and ask myself, "Do I love this set?" I buy a lot of sets now in days that I really don't care to own, because they are potential money makers, but when I started years ago, I never did that. I only bought what I loved and it served me well.

It depends on price, yes, but also on budget and to me, liking the set in the first place is of capital importance. Frankly, even though I could afford to buy any set, I'd rather put my money in sets I like and think will do well rather than buying whatever theme I will never build anyway. For instance I know the Friends sets are pretty popular but I will never, ever, buy one because you would not enjoy building it if I had to. It really comes down to if you are a hardcore investor and do NOT enjoy LEGO building or if you are a hardcore LEGO fan and ALWAYS DO enjoy building ;)