Boxes gone, but bags sealed

atomb

Question

I have been buying sets for years that had destroyed boxes, and or no boxes (from lost and damaged shipment auctions) for years.  Initially I didnt think much about the boxes (except those I paid retail for).  Now I have big boxes (20x20x20), and tubs (30gal) full of sealed bags, that are sort of sorted like "City" or Start wars, or Lego movie, etc.   I do have sets that are pristine that are sealed and stored in plastic tubs that are in my "collecting" group.  

In any case what would be your next step?  Just sort them?  Keep them in their bags.  For example I have 6 30gal tabs, and about 5 20x20x20 boxes just labeled "City".   Mix of sealed bags from everything from trains, small sets to big sets.  

Are Lego hat are "new" in bags really worth any more than "used" since they are not sealed?

10 answers to this question

Is what you have sealed in bags still bundled together by set, or do you have large tubs of random sealed bags with no info on which set they came from? Especially for retired sets, you can get good money for sets that are sealed bag, no box (do you have instructions?). That requires you to be able to identify which bags come from which set, which would be difficult in the scenario where all bags have been mixed up. (There are unboxing videos/articles that you can use to identify bags from sets but there's quite some effort involved in this exercise).

• Like 1

Well, yes they are all mixed together but by "Category"  City/Star Wars/Modular/Lego Movie/Pirates/Technic, etc.  I have most all of the instructions that are not opened also.  The process of filling the boxes/tubs was take the set pour it in, then move on to next one. 

Ya, i knew there would be some effort involved. 

Don't know what is best at this point.  Do I just let them be and when my son is a little older (he is 2 right now) make him have to sort them out!!  Do I just open them and sort them by bricks?

I drove past a garage sale a couple months back and I saw one of those Lego storage towers sticking up in the back. I took a shot and checked it out and sure enough all five storage drawers were filled. I asked if they had any more and the lady brought over an opened Helms Deep box. Inside was a partially disassembled Helms Deep and a couple other LotR sets. Ended up buying all of it for $25. I left my number and said if she finds anymore just call. Well not even 15min after I left she called and said she found two totes full. Went back and sure enough two big totes full. I noticed that there were about 30 unopened bags inside of it. Seems like her kid would only open the bags with the minifigs in them and just leave the rest sealed. Crazy. .....oh yeah the two bins were only another $25.

• Like 3

Lego that are sealed in bags are "new", technically. I would try to group them in complete sets with instructions and sell them that way. Next if no complete sets then I would try to find what sets these bags are from and if I'm lucky it would be from a valuable set and sell them as sealed bags from that set, labeled incomplete set.

3 hours ago, jkris53406 said:

I think if you know how much you have invested in them, you should consider putting them in groups on ebay. Sealed bag lots sell well and you should be able to make some money on them. There is also Brick Classifieds on here, too.

I do know how much I have invested and it is not much.  I have been buying them to ensure my son has enough to get started, but now it is well.. just excessive. 

I would strongly urge against opening any of the bags. Hindsight is 20/20 but you should have kept the bags together, as you removed them from the damaged box. You could sell them as groupings : Star Wars sealed bags- include the instructions and sell them as a lot. There are many knowledgeable enthusiasts who can identify sets by bags.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2016 at 7:41 AM, atomb said:

I have been buying sets for years that had destroyed boxes, and or no boxes (from lost and damaged shipment auctions) for years.  Initially I didnt think much about the boxes (except those I paid retail for).  Now I have big boxes (20x20x20), and tubs (30gal) full of sealed bags, that are sort of sorted like "City" or Start wars, or Lego movie, etc.   I do have sets that are pristine that are sealed and stored in plastic tubs that are in my "collecting" group.  

In any case what would be your next step?  Just sort them?  Keep them in their bags.  For example I have 6 30gal tabs, and about 5 20x20x20 boxes just labeled "City".   Mix of sealed bags from everything from trains, small sets to big sets.  

Are Lego hat are "new" in bags really worth any more than "used" since they are not sealed?

What about the instructions? Do you have those? IF you have the instructions OR a way of knowing which sets you have and which sets the bags go to I would buy some large ziploc bags and start putting the sealed lego bags in ziplocs by set. Other wise you have an assortment of sealed lego bags by theme. So in the future, while your son will be able to build "things" using his imagination, he won't be able to take advantage of building "models".

At this point you essentially have Creative Towers per se of loose sealed bags.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing I have bins full with lego that I collect some are still in the original box still sealed while other are out of the box and build for displays the ones out of the boxes but still in there plastic with instruction attached A good idea would be putting the box number set on the plastic bags Of the legos that are still sealed

• Like 1

I drove past a garage sale a couple months back and I saw one of those Lego storage towers sticking up in the back. I took a shot and checked it out and sure enough all five storage drawers were filled. I asked if they had any more and the lady brought over an opened Helms Deep box. Inside was a partially disassembled Helms Deep and a couple other LotR sets. Ended up buying all of it for $25. I left my number and said if she finds anymore just call. Well not even 15min after I left she called and said she found two totes full. Went back and sure enough two big totes full. I noticed that there were about 30 unopened bags inside of it. Seems like her kid would only open the bags with the minifigs in them and just leave the rest sealed. Crazy. .....oh yeah the two bins were only another $25.

Wow that awesome