Display/Play Tables

I plan to build a large table for my daughter and I to play on. I have some larger sets that I would like to open up and build. I thought it would be nice to have a thread around the topic, as I'm sure a large percentage of us have some type of lego table.

Does anyone have experience building their own table for play?

Any thoughts on what you would or would not do again, if you had another chance?

Any designs that worked well or poorly?

Feel free to share pics.

Thanks!

I built a table before but it's on the to-do list to make a new one since we're moving our LEGO to a new room. The original table was overbuilt but it had 4' wings to skip over a buffet table and cast iron radiator. The mistake I made though was using plywood that was way too thick - I had a some S1S 3/4 plywood from a previous project and it was overkill and heavy.

This time around I've got some 1/4" S1S for the job and it'll require less support and be easier to move but in reality just as good.

What I will repeat is putting some 1/4 MDF square baseboard around the edges around a half inch or so higher than the table to keep the LEGO off the floor! The MDF is nice because no splintering = no slivers. I contemplated using some 1/4" MDF sheets for the table top but it's so much easier to deal with large sheets of plywood.

• Like 2

I use Masonite on top of my shelves for product. It is cheap, super smooth and it let's me use unfinished material underneath it for the actual support. So basically there is no sanding your tabletop. For edging and keeping the bricks on the table you might try crown molding or chair molding that goes on walls. I would look for something rounded because I don't have a wood router. I like choices where I don't have to do a lot of work.  That's why I sell Lego. Lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gregpj said:

What I will repeat is putting some 1/4 MDF square baseboard around the edges around a half inch or so higher than the table to keep the LEGO off the floor! The MDF is nice because no splintering = no slivers.

I like that. I was wondering about different ways people address the edges.