How do I make sure a sealed set is not opened and resealed?

bigboy61

Hi there. Someone on Craigslist is supposedly selling a brand new UCS Tie Fighter for $160. It's not an amazing deal but I think it's pretty solid. He says it's sealed. Is there anyway I can tell if it was ever opened and resealed? I don't want to get defrauded. Thanks in advance!

Hi there. Someone on Craigslist is supposedly selling a brand new UCS Tie Fighter for $160. It's not an amazing deal but I think it's pretty solid. He says it's sealed. Is there anyway I can tell if it was ever opened and resealed? I don't want to get defrauded. Thanks in advance!

Don't think there's really a fool proof way to tell without opening and counting bags. You can check weight but that's still not 100%...

• Like 2

Unless you open to verify, you just have to go with your gut. Look at the seals to see if they are clear or look kind of cloudy, give it a shake and listen for the sounds of loose pieces, look at the box to see if there a bulge like some opened it and then stuffed bags back in. I usually get a bad vibe from some boxes. It's not scientific but it's the only way I know.

• Like 2

I just bought an older retired technic set, it turned up with funny seals, they had 'slid', you could see where they were originally sitting. I just took a photo of the seals first, then opened and checked the contents. It was all there, just a problem with the seals. I think it's worth checking, when you come to sell again at least you can say brand new, seals broken but bags Unopened, that way the next recipient can even check for themselves too

If you're gonna weigh it I'll tell you I have six of these and their weights are 2.885, 2.873, 2.876, 2.858, 2.871, 2.874 Kg. Obviously humidity and other factors can impact this number a bit so keep that in mind.

Edited by gbg108
  • Like 1

Hey guys! Just an update. I met guy and looked at the seals and looked like the seals were taped over. He went ahead and cut them and I took a quick look. It had all 18 bags and everything seems to be there. The box must have been opened though becuase I found a sticker sheet (21534/6116850) in the bottom. I wonder why it was ever opened... Any thoughts? Also, how much value has been lost by the box being opened? Thanks!

5 minutes ago, bigboy61 said:

Hey guys! Just an update. I met guy and looked at the seals and looked like the seals were taped over. He went ahead and cut them and I took a quick look. It had all 18 bags and everything seems to be there. The box must have been opened though becuase I found a sticker sheet (21534/6116850) in the bottom. I wonder why it was ever opened... Any thoughts? Also, how much value has been lost by the box being opened? Thanks!

At this point in time - about $10+

But you have now also gained the option of showing the contents (which is a plus for some buyers), or selling without the box (better shipping costs). 

Edited by KShine
  • Like 1