Storage of new sets

GregP

Question

Hi all

Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere on forums. Haven't be able to find anything but please post link if it exists.

So far all of my Lego investments are stored in the delivery boxes they arrived in. Half of these are direct from Lego SaH so are well packaged IMO.

When storing should I leave them in the delivery boxes or take them out? Also should I be storing them on their ends or flat and on top of each other?

Cheers

Greg

14 answers to this question

Thanks for input guys

Any thought on vertical or horizontal storage? I see a lot of sets stored vertically when out of box (presume this is better for box), but it this necessary when delivery box will take pressure?

1 hour ago, GregP said:

Hi all

Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere on forums. Haven't be able to find anything but please post link if it exists.

So far all of my Lego investments are stored in the delivery boxes they arrived in. Half of these are direct from Lego SaH so are well packaged IMO.

When storing should I leave them in the delivery boxes or take them out? Also should I be storing them on their ends or flat and on top of each other?

Cheers

Greg

So the basic answer to your question is ... leave them in the boxes if you can (prevents dust buildup and further damage such as scuffing). That does take up more room and also requires some type of organization/labeling system so you know what's in them.

This thread has lots of tips and links to a few blog articles...

You can skip ahead to this post for some good information about storing LEGO sets when they are not in boxes, how to properly stack cardboard boxes (LEGO or non-LEGO), etc. (there is a link to other threads from here - self plug, this is my post which links to another of my posts :))

This thread shows how many members choose to display and store their sets along with advice on shelving and other things...

The info is there, but it's scattered a bit. Bottom line... store in larger boxes if you can, NEVER stack LEGO boxes flat on top of each other. If you need to stack LEGO boxes, stack them criss-crossed and always remember:

- the stacking strength (crushing) of carboard is in the vertical nature of a piece of cardboard (more flutes = more strength, thicker = more strength)
- the impact strength (resistance to punctures and dents) is due to the thickness of the cardboard and the glues used (thicker = more strength)

• Like 2

I've only just started but I've been buying the large 50 gallon plastic storage tubs at walmart to put mine in.

You will find that eventually your sets will outnumbered the storage boxes you bought to store them in. But it is a good start, good protection and easy to stack too. Just maybe not very space efficient, since storing them in their own delivery cardboard box and on a shelf will suffice.

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to LEGO investing and just bought my first set. I have collected other toys before but I just thought I'd get some input from you guys on how to store your sets.

Do you display them? I'd imagine it'll get some shelf wear if you stack them up. What I've done with my first set is bubble wrap it and put it back in the shipping box, then I placed it in a cupboard. I realized that even if I display my toys away from direct sunlight, it'll still fade and lose some colour on it's packaging and/or toy itself if it has a transparent window.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Hi all,

I have bought some LEGO models I would like to keep for some years as an investment. 

So far I have:

• wrapped the boxes into bubble wrap
  • store the boxes on our loft
  • Boxes will be placed vertically

What are your experience with this? Are there other things I should do to preserve the boxes?

Thanks!

IMG_0735.JPG

I know there was discussion on Factory Seals. I have a couple of questions.

Seals on one Tumbler box are 39r4 and another box seal is 41r5. Whats the difference? Do they ever ship two diffrent sealed boxer in a Lego shipping box?

Are these two I mentioned different years of production?  Thanks

I know there was discussion on Factory Seals. I have a couple of questions.
Seals on one Tumbler box are 39r4 and another box seal is 41r5. Whats the difference? Do they ever ship two diffrent sealed boxer in a Lego shipping box?
Are these two I mentioned different years of production?  Thanks

You should really do a search. Can't be that hard to find. First two digits is week # and last digit is last digit of the year of production. 39r4, 39th week of 2014. I suppose it's not impossible to have boxes from different production runs in one shipment, though I would think usually it'd be the same.