Bought a sealed set on ebay...

randallflagg

Question

So I picked up a New Wotto's Junkyard in an auction on eBay a while back, planning on re-selling it for a profit.  I am taking pictures of the box and I hear loose parts rolling around now...  I know it's not a good sign but I am guessing I have to open it now to check it.  I can't rightfully re-sell it without knowing it's complete can I.  I'm thinking about if someone opens it and claims it's missing things I'd have no way to prove otherwise.  There's definitely bags in there but I think one of them may have come apart.

What would you do?

13 answers to this question

How long ago did you buy it?  This would be the type of thing I would have been checking when I got it.  I do it with every set I pick up at a store even which is to give it a shake and see if it sounds like any loose parts.  Usually the box or seals give this away, but the crooks are getting better at hiding their tracks.  You really have to open it at this point if you've owned it for awhile and there is really no recourse for you to the original seller of the set.  If you've owned it for months or years you're on your own now.  Selling the set with sealed bags won't cost you much from the sealed box as it's still all new, and you're showing your buyer this.  Best of luck.

Without seeing the seals it is difficult to say, but the older sets had bags that very easily became brittle over time.

If you have had it for a long time (and the seals look good), I would bet that it was legit. When this set came out, it didn't sell, and was marked down to nothing (and still didn't sell too well) - so the value (and likelihood) of someone opening it back then (to remove items & re-seal) was low.

At this point, if you sold it as is to a collector (not disclosing the loose pieces) they might not be happy to pay a premium for an uncertain set, and if you list it sealed (mentioning the loose pieces), it won't sell. So, I would suggest that you might as well open it to confirm.

Edited by KShine

Tip:  in cases like these... don't open it just yet! 

first take a look through youtube for unboxing videos & see if its normal that there are loose parts in the box, often larger parts, tires, hoses, plates & product replacement parts were added loose in the box from the manufacturer.  That set has both an 8x8 disk and hard plastic wheels which may naturally be loose parts.

... but it's always more fun to open it really... 'cause 99% of the time you'll then have an irresistible urge to build & swoosh justabit! :-)

• Like 1

Haha,I thought about building it for fun but I have $80 invested in this and would like to make some money back.  The alternative is that this set parts out for $300!

I have found no unboxing vids, I know there are a few loose parts in this set but I hear some small parts rolling around.

36 minutes ago, waydog said:

as a secondary market buyer, I actually like to see pics of an open box and sealed bags.  i consider it still sealed and doesn't detract from the value.  just my opinion though. 

That is true for me as well.  If I were collecting this I wouldn't mind seeing the bags, gives you some re-assurance that it is new and complete.

I guess the debate now will be to put it in my bricklink store or sell it whole and unsealed.  Or cry cause it's been tampered with, haha.

Figured I should let you know what happened.

I opened the box and the set was complete, 1 bag had exploded open and was loose, the bag was fairly brittle.  There were only 4 black hoses that were intended to be loose, everything else was supposed to be bagged.  After opening the set, I couldn't resist the urge to part it out to my bricklink store, I thought it would be cool to have some classic gray/brown and dark gray in my inventory.