Hello from SW Florida

My name is Roland and I have a Lego problem!

Well, if you ask my wife anyways.  I have never considered investing in Lego sets before recently but at 42 I still buy them for myself (and sometimes my kids).  My sets are mainly Star Wars.  My 7 yo son like pretty much everything so he gets everything but the Star Wars.  Of course, his sets are in pieces but that's what 7 year old's are supposed to do.  I keep my sets assembled on display in his room so he get's to enjoy them anyways (I said enjoy, not touch!).  And who am I kidding, they will be his (and his 4 yo sister's) one day anyways.  The 40 or so sets and growing in "our" collection is not something I have even considered selling.  No matter how much many of them seem to have jumped in value.  It has however, made me consider investing going forward.  

I've also noticed the fluctuation in the market.  The first set I bought 10 years ago when this collection started was the B-Wing 6208.  I paid around $50 for it and now it's $144 on Amazon.  A few years ago, I know I saw it over $200-$250.I wasn't planning on collection then but you know how these things grow.  I know 40 sets in 10 years doesn't sound like much but add another 40 or 50 of non Star Wars sets for my kids, and that comes to, well, 90.  Now that I say it, that's not a lot either.  Then again, most of those were purchased in the last 5 years without investment in mind.  Also, they were cherry picked of the sets I like the most.  So it was about 15 sets a year for personal use.  Now I'm looking to buy quite a bit more.

My plan is simple.  I am going to trick my kids in to learning about investing since it will be wrapped up in toys they love.  Rather than try to guess what the market is going to want, I'm going to go with a sure thing.  What I like.  If I had bought two of every set I have on display, looking at the prices they list at now, my collection would have paid for itself.  (Keeping one and selling one).  I don't see us trying to fill cargo containers with sets.  My plan to start is to spend 1k a year on sets that interest us personally.

I'm not looking to get rich.  Just diversify from other investments and have some fun.  I don't know Lego like you guys know Lego but I know what I like and that seems a good place to start.  If we keep this going until my kids are out of high school, we'll be looking at $13000 or so worth of sets.  Then they can start a little side business and start selling them.  They can learn another lesson in entreprenuership.  (Lots of wishful thinking in my plan I know!)

Nice to meet all of you!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know where in Southwest Florida you are but if you're close consider joining us

http://www.meetup.com/SWFL-Adult-Fans-of-Lego-Meetup

The purpose of this meetup is to gauge interest in a LEGO themed event or recurring meeting for the Adult Fan of Lego (AFOL), LEGO Train Enthusiast, LEGO Mindstorms, and LEGO Robotics fans. This would be an informal meeting to help local AFOLs network with others sharing this hobby in the Southwest Florida area.

The schedule for the first Meet Up is To Be Decided. I want to be able to accommodate schedules, so join now and have a say in the date and time.

Long-term objectives may be the formation of a LEGO Users Group (LUG) for the Southwest Florida area and group participation in events such as Brickworld Tampa and other LEGO / Toy conventions.