LEGO enthusiast here

I just now visited this site while trying to price a set I want to sell.  Trouble is, I don't have the box for the set.  I need another column in the price guide for people like me who threw out the box after building the set (who knew?).  I build furnished buildings.  Therefore I am out of room to display sets that aren't buildings, like R2D2, Grand Carousel, Eiffel Tower, etc.  BUT - no boxes, so I can't get a reasonable price from looking at the guide.  Any calculation I can do?

The Used column is what you're looking for. There might be marginal variances in Used sets sold with or without box, but it's very marginal. You'll still get exceptional money for those sets without a box. I wouldn't worry about it. If you're new to ebay selling, I'd even recommend listing them at the going rates with a Buy it Now and an Or Best Offer. You can decide how much of a percentage you'd discount it for lack of box... if any. You might get your asking price straight away, those are some coveted sets! 

On 3/20/2016 at 4:59 PM, Brendamcq said:

I just now visited this site while trying to price a set I want to sell.  Trouble is, I don't have the box for the set.  I need another column in the price guide for people like me who threw out the box after building the set (who knew?).  I build furnished buildings.  Therefore I am out of room to display sets that aren't buildings, like R2D2, Grand Carousel, Eiffel Tower, etc.  BUT - no boxes, so I can't get a reasonable price from looking at the guide.  Any calculation I can do?

Instructions in good condition will add more value to your set than a box. In fact, boxes will increase the cost for shipping those sets so any loss on the overall value is (somewhat) offset by cheaper shipping.

If you want to know what a set is selling for, the guide is just that - a guide. It gives an average selling price for new and used sets. What you want to do is use that as your starting point and then check the platform you plan to sell on.. for example, on eBay do an advanced search for your set and flag the used/completed check boxes. You'll see what has been selling for how much and you can compare to the condition/completeness of your set. Then do a search for current used sets and compare the current sale prices to the recent sale prices... is the price going up or down? Price accordingly!

Also, if you're looking for cheaper fees might I suggest you check out www.brickclassifieds.com .. with only PayPal fees to consider, you can price some of those larger sets quite competitively there. If it's a really good deal, it'll get a mention in the forum somewhere too and that can't help but give good exposure!

Good Luck! And please do feel free to visit the MOC pages and post pictures of your creations.. some folks around here do love a good MOC. Lots of good threads here you could add to.. :)

http://community.brickpicker.com/forum/54-building-lego/

• Like 1

On 3/20/2016 at 11:59 AM, Brendamcq said:

I have sold a ton of used sets. Mostly sets I've got tired of displaying and then sell them off to make room (and money) for new sets. Most of the sets i sell are without the box. I usually give the buyer the option of including the box, but once i mention shipping will go up a fair bit with the box; they decline.

Bottom line is box or no box should not affect the average sets value.

And welcome!