Set Box Storage - break down or keep as is?

DarthGagnon

Question

7 answers to this question

Breaking down boxes is par for the course I'd say. 

Though, honestly, boxes aren't very valuable. I resell old sets on bricklink and noone wants to pay the extra shipping costs they incur. Even UCS star wars boxes. I often ship 'MISB' sets without the box - just repackaging the sealed bags into a smaller box for cheaper shipping. 

I have relisted boxes for sale alone and noone has bought a single one. 

In my experience it's less about is flat storage acceptable, and more about are they even worth keeping. 

6 minutes ago, DarthGagnon said:

thanks a lot, Muffin Cup! great insight and a big help. i had the impression i had to keep everything related to the set if i were to consider reselling in the future.

Not all boxes are throw away, but many are. I wouldn't break down a 10179 box if I had one... I kept my Cafe Corner and Green Grocer boxes intact, but all other modular boxes are stored flat. I use the CC and GG boxes to store smaller boxes that are flattened.

4 minutes ago, gregpj said:

Not all boxes are throw away, but many are. I wouldn't break down a 10179 box if I had one... I kept my Cafe Corner and Green Grocer boxes intact, but all other modular boxes are stored flat. I use the CC and GG boxes to store smaller boxes that are flattened.

Thanks gregpj! makes total sense. the 'pj' in your name doesn't happen to stand for Pear Jam, does it?