An Inquiry into sets that have performed reasonably well

LukeyRich

Question

HI all

My name is Luke and I'm a Finance student at the University of Cape Town in South Africa doing a project on LEGO as an alternative investment. I am trying to paint an accurate picture of LEGO investing and I want to try get a better understanding of the sets that have earned satisfactory returns over the years rather than just the best and worst performers.

Would really appreciate it if someone could help me find a few sets that fit this description.

Thanks a lot

5 answers to this question

Lego investment is being offered as a university study option now, is it? Guess we should all pack up and go home.

Seriousl though, satisfaction is in the eye of the beholder - if I don´t at least double my buy in after fees, I feel I am wasting my time. Others are happy making 10 bucks off a 200 USD set.

To simplify, consistent strong performers are large Original Trilogy Star Wars Spaceships and just about everything in the IDEAS range.

• Like 1

That question is way too vague.  Satisfactory to who and for what purpose?

The goal of the individual investor is different and at different levels they reach satisfaction.

The investment angle  "How to make money" is extremely hard to quantify and determine how to make money

.The At-At, Imperial Star Destroyer, Town Hall and Brick Bounty are all good examples of sets that have good one year potential to review,  The Super Star Destroyer is also a good one.

The Star Wars mini Sets - series 1 might be worth a look as well. 

Just some ideas...since you asked. 

But everyone is going to have different ideas.

THe Mack's (they run this site) wrote a book on this and there is a lot of information there in a bit more of a concise presentation. 

• Like 2

I think your question is too broad.  There have been "best and worst performers" and every level in between. How would someone define "satisfactory returns"?  And over what time period?

Consider a similar question about the stock market... "Hi... I'd like to learn more about the stock market.  I know about the best and worst performers... please share with me, if you will, names and performance data on some of the stocks that have had 'satisfactory' returns over the years."  The list would be endless wouldn't it?  Nearly any stock has performed 'satisfactorily' over some period in it's life.

• Like 1