Tampered seals on Queen Amidala lego set.... but she's there so..WHY??

ajk388

Question

I bought a Lego set on ebay, the one with Queen Amidala (9499).  It was listed as “NIB” and “You will receive one unopened set, still New In Box.” 

It just arrived and to my dismay, two of the seals were tampered with.  There were fingerprints, and a few very small spots at the corner where the paint didn’t line up with the image below.  Also, the tape isn’t sticking at one just one end (the other half after the corner is fine).  I looked at it, fiddled with the lid, and then the lid just popped right open with the tape sliding off the box, barely any stick whatsoever and no additional peel of the picture off the box.  I was so worried someone jacked Queen Amidala from me AGAIN, but then this time bag #2 was there.   Amidala’s pieces are in the bag, and aside from a small tear in the corner of bag #2 (the one with Queen Amidala) – a tear not big enough to slide a minifig though- all five plastic bags otherwise look sealed.    

So my question, why would a seller tamper with the seals, if not to jack the minifigs?  Is there some type of fake Amidala figure that is being switched out or something?  But that just seems too elaborate and not worth it for so little money (you have to buy/make amidalas) and so much effort…

I’m not sure I want to leave bad feedback.  I don’t want to unnecessarily damage someone with poor feedback. I know how much mom and pop sellers rely on their feedback.  I’ve had several sellers offer to pay me (refund me) in exchange for revising reviews in the last year.   But this time I don’t appear to have suffered a loss, so it doesn’t seem worth it to leave a negative comment.   However, I can’t shake that nagging doubt at the back of my mind whether the seller swapped out the Amidala, or if some other piece is missing. Also, this item was misrepresented as a sealed set.   Opening it destroys the resale value, and I do have a few unopened sets I’ve been holding onto.  I’ve never sold any of my legos.  But I do have an ebay sellers account since I used to sell books like 10 years ago, and I’d never misrepresent a sale so much, that’s just unfair to the customer, especially in the lego field where there’s a lot of collectors.   

The reason this pisses me off is because my dad already bought me this set 9499 for Christmas a couple years ago.  I let it sit in my closet until now.  By the time I needed it, it's been retired.  Recently I just opened it because we’re having a lego-themed wedding and my fiancée wants to be Queen Amidala.  So I was like, great, and popped open the gangun sub only to find that someone had already jacked Queen Amidala, OB1, and qui-gon jinn, and by now my parents threw out the receipt years ago.  I guess there's always the possibility of a production error too...  Anyway, I reported the missing pieces to Lego, and they never responded.  The other time I reported a missing piece, they contacted me to follow up a day later, so I assume they’re just sweeping this one under the rug and forgetting about it.   Anyway, that’s why I bought this set again.  And that’s why the tampered seal was the first thing to pop out at me when I bought the replacement set.  

Sorry, I’ve kinda ranted here.   But truly, what I really want to know is why would someone go through the effort of tampering with a seal, if everything valuable appears to be there?  Is there some type of fake Amidala scam going on? 

• Like 1

15 answers to this question

10 hours ago, ajk388 said:

I bought a Lego set on ebay, the one with Queen Amidala (9499).  It was listed as “NIB” and “You will receive one unopened set, still New In Box.” 

It just arrived and to my dismay, two of the seals were tampered with.  There were fingerprints, and a few very small spots at the corner where the paint didn’t line up with the image below.  Also, the tape isn’t sticking at one just one end (the other half after the corner is fine).  I looked at it, fiddled with the lid, and then the lid just popped right open with the tape sliding off the box, barely any stick whatsoever and no additional peel of the picture off the box.  I was so worried someone jacked Queen Amidala from me AGAIN, but then this time bag #2 was there.   Amidala’s pieces are in the bag, and aside from a small tear in the corner of bag #2 (the one with Queen Amidala) – a tear not big enough to slide a minifig though- all five plastic bags otherwise look sealed.    

So my question, why would a seller tamper with the seals, if not to jack the minifigs?  Is there some type of fake Amidala figure that is being switched out or something?  But that just seems too elaborate and not worth it for so little money (you have to buy/make amidalas) and so much effort…

I’m not sure I want to leave bad feedback.  I don’t want to unnecessarily damage someone with poor feedback. I know how much mom and pop sellers rely on their feedback.  I’ve had several sellers offer to pay me (refund me) in exchange for revising reviews in the last year.   But this time I don’t appear to have suffered a loss, so it doesn’t seem worth it to leave a negative comment.   However, I can’t shake that nagging doubt at the back of my mind whether the seller swapped out the Amidala, or if some other piece is missing. Also, this item was misrepresented as a sealed set.   Opening it destroys the resale value, and I do have a few unopened sets I’ve been holding onto.  I’ve never sold any of my legos.  But I do have an ebay sellers account since I used to sell books like 10 years ago, and I’d never misrepresent a sale so much, that’s just unfair to the customer, especially in the lego field where there’s a lot of collectors.   

The reason this pisses me off is because my dad already bought me this set 9499 for Christmas a couple years ago.  I let it sit in my closet until now.  Recently I just opened it because we’re having a lego-themed wedding and my fiancée wants to be Queen Amidala.  So I was like, great, and popped open the gangun sub only to find that someone had already jacked Queen Amidala, OB1, and qui-gon jinn, and by now my parents threw out the receipt years ago.  Anyway, I reported the missing pieces to Lego, and they never responded.  The other time I reported a missing piece, they contacted me to follow up a day later, so I assume they’re just sweeping this one under the rug and forgetting about it.   Anyway, that’s why I bought this set again.  And that’s why the tampered seal was the first thing to pop out at me when I bought the replacement set.  

Sorry, I’ve kinda ranted here.   But truly, what I really want to know is why would someone go through the effort of tampering with a seal, if everything valuable appears to be there?  Is there some type of fake Amidala scam going on? 

I was reading this and formulating a response but then I got distracted by the Lego themed wedding and your bride dressed as Queen Amidala and well, frankly, I can't get past it. I need some more information on this wedding plan. I need photos or some mock-up costume designs, or save the date cards, or well... something.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mfortunek said:

I was reading this and formulating a response but then I got distracted by the Lego themed wedding and your bride dressed as Queen Amidala and well, frankly, I can't get past it. I need some more information on this wedding plan. I need photos or some mock-up costume designs, or save the date cards, or well... something.  

LOL, I meant the wedding cake topper pieces!!  We're using lego pieces .  And numbers created from lego bricks for each table, and such, etc.  But not actually dressing as Queen Amidala.  We got a couple of the new wedding sets released 3/1 (set 40165) and are going to use one for a wedding cake topper (although the instructions say it's only for table decoration). 

Edited by ajk388

They most likely were not tampered with. Rather they popped and then restuck.... poorly. Since all is there and you were going to open it anyway feel free to leave good feedback. Please do message him to let him know that the seals were popped. This will make him more careful in the future...hopefully.

• Like 3

The seals pop open easily due to rough handling or just age and the seller probably just stuck them back on. He or she should have mentioned this in the description but if you got everything then why are you upset? You were going to open it anyway. It seems like you are trying to find something to be mad about. Also, not saying you do this but you did mention it...leaving negative feedback for the purpose of extorting money from a seller for a revision is just about the lowest thing someone can do. It has happened to me before and it sucks. 

• Like 2

The bags inside were new and everything was there. I don't really understand the issue. Being this long into retirement, there is a good chance this person popped the seals to make sure they weren't selling you a tampered box (you should appreciate that). I also don't understand the outrage if you're going to open it. Also, if you already have the playset why didn't you just buy the minifig?

• Like 2

I don't have a lot of sympathy for the seller here.  Sure maybe they "didn't know" or "didn't notice" but I say, if you don't know what a popped seal looks like, you shouldn't be selling Lego.  If they advertised NISB, you are entitled to it.  If they had advertised "opened / sealed bags" you probably would have paid a little less, no?  So for me, it just becomes a question of, do you want to return it and buy it elsewhere... or do you want to keep it?  It's a SNAD and if you want the full refund, they should give it to you.  Of course, do you want to hassle with all that? That's up to you.

Side note: Why was the box opened? Well, I think your "substitute" Queen Amidala theory is a little far fetched.  As others have said... probably just popped on it's own, or by accident.  One other possibility - some OCD type who likes to carefully preserve his Lego boxes, had very carefully opened it, built the set, then came across a smashed box / sealed bags set, and made the old box "switch-a-roo"...wait... just typing that out... seems more far fetched than your idea ;)

• Like 1

Seals on this one pop.  I have two and one has popped open.

Do you think the seller was being dishonest?  Look at their previous feedback.,  If there is a history of problems then judge accordingly.  Let's say they have no negative feedback so far.  Do you think they would risk 1 for this deal.    If you sense something was wrong  and it is a pattern, than give them the negative feedback - your right to do so. 

If there is no problem or history of problems - you could just not leave feedback.  If they weren't being dishonest than let them go - send them an email and tell them why and leave no feedback.  They might appreciate the lesson if they are not aware. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sfcommando14 said:

The bags inside were new and everything was there. I don't really understand the issue. Being this long into retirement, there is a good chance this person popped the seals to make sure they weren't selling you a tampered box (you should appreciate that). I also don't understand the outrage if you're going to open it. Also, if you already have the playset why didn't you just buy the minifig?

The set I got from my dad was missing bag #2.  Out of 5 bags.  That's all the minifigs except for the gangun jar jar binks, and the cockpit.  Queen Amidala is $55.  But I hadn't thought about it that way, maybe the seller was trying to protect himself by making sure everything was there.  But if so, it would have been nice if he had been upfront and just said that he opened to verify it's all there.   Or that the seals popped so he checked it out. 

Edited by ajk388

1 hour ago, legoray01 said:

Seals on this one pop.  I have two and one has popped open.

Do you think the seller was being dishonest?  Look at their previous feedback.,  If there is a history of problems then judge accordingly.  Let's say they have no negative feedback so far.  Do you think they would risk 1 for this deal.    If you sense something was wrong  and it is a pattern, than give them the negative feedback - your right to do so. 

If there is no problem or history of problems - you could just not leave feedback.  If they weren't being dishonest than let them go - send them an email and tell them why and leave no feedback.  They might appreciate the lesson if they are not aware. 

Thanks, I think this is the way to go.  I usually only leave bad feedback if something is really wrong, like a broken product or shipped the wrong item.  I suppose I should try to distinguish this seller from the last set I had where someone else tampered and stole the items, since I ultimately received the product in this set.  It's just hard since this set appears like it was tampered with too.  Being that this is the reason I bought a set I already had (or 80% had I guess is more correct) it's kinda hard to disassociate the two events in my mind. 

On March 13, 2016 at 4:53 AM, ajk388 said:

>

<Sorry, I’ve kinda ranted here.   But truly, what I really want to know is why would someone go through the effort of tampering with a seal, if everything valuable appears to be there?  Is there some type of fake Amidala scam going on? 

IMO:

You have every right to be displeased. I'm actually surprised that more people aren't supporting you here. Even IF you wanted to open and keep the sent, you should definitely let the seller know that it's inappropriate to sell something as Sealed/NIB and not mention that it has been opened for whatever reason (but complete).

It's miss-representing an item, and a sealed collected would have been furious.

I would send them a message and wait to see how they react. If they're reasonable, you can be reasonable and not leave a neg. rating... but if they're unreasonable and unapologetic, then you can rate them accordingly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, daurgo2001 said:

You have every right to be displeased. I'm actually surprised that more people aren't supporting you here. Even IF you wanted to open and keep the sent, you should definitely let the seller know that it's inappropriate to sell something as Sealed/NIB and not mention that it has been opened for whatever reason (but complete).

It's miss-representing an item, and a sealed collected would have been furious.

There is a very big difference between being displeased and being scammed. It's not that people aren't being supportive, people are saying "sit back, think logically, check the seller's other feedback and contact the seller if it's bothering you that much."

Someone (legoray01) also mentioned this set was prone to having the seals pop. Maybe the seller has lots of inventory and 6 months ago they moved some stuff around... at the time the seals popped, and they tried to reattach them (sure they did a piss poor job) ensuring the box stayed "sealed". Then they go to sell the set, grab it from the shelf, seals still look go so into the box it goes... not it gets into the post and box bounces around further loosening them to the point that they easily pop open for the buyer.

To the OP, you still seem to be very upset about the first Queen Amidala being swiped from the box (and rightly so) but don't let that frustration cloud this situation. It has nothing to do with the current seller you purchased from. I also completely agree with legoray01 - If the set is complete (you should build the entire thing to make sure), let the seller know the set was complete but that you were not satisfied with the condition it arrived - explain the fingerprints under the seals, that they appeared to be resealed and how the seal itself had no "stick" ... Then move on and have a great wedding.

• Like 1