Hello from Minnesota

Hello everyone. 

I initially came across this site about a year ago as I started diving deeper into Lego.  Now I'm here to get advice on Lego as investments.  It's Double VIP Points as I post this, and it's a good time to stock up on some sets, and in fact I've already purchased a few.  I'm hoping to learn from the pros, and eventually share what I learn.

Like most of you, I actually like Lego.  I spent years resisting / denying myself, on the outside looking in, but I finally gave in a couple of years ago, and now I find myself helplessly pining for the larger sets. 

I've already purchased, and plan to hold, some near EOL sets, such as Tower Bridge, Parisian Restaurant, and Pet Shop, as well as Villa Savoye.  I'm hoping the Tower Bridge appreciates well, particularly if/when Big Ben becomes available and someone wants the Tower Bridge to go with it.

I'm planning on getting a few Imperial Hotel units as well, hopefully I can keep one for myself!  In fact, I'm hoping I can keep one for myself of all the sets I invest in, but the upfront cost can be very intimidating!

I wonder - does anyone here do that?  Does anyone get 4 units of Tower Bridge (or similar big set) and open/keep one for themselves?

16 hours ago, enthusiast said:

I wonder - does anyone here do that?  Does anyone get 4 units of Tower Bridge (or similar big set) and open/keep one for themselves?

Welcome!

For some (like myself) investing in LEGO is one of the best ways to support my hobby of building LEGO. So yes i buy a bunch of 1 set, and open 1 for myself :) Of course i don't open every single one, but the profits from the ones i sell offset the cost of the hobby side of it for me.

Everyone plays the game a bit differently though.

• Like 1

Welcome enthusiast! I buy a (hmm...) couple of each set. Then when it's either retired or retiring, if I haven't already opened and built one of them, I wrestle for awhile about should I open and build or save it. The dilemma never ends...

• Like 1

Hello and welcome!

What part of Minnesota, if you don't mind me asking, as I'm from south of the cities?

Yes, there are many sets I buy a few of and keep one to open.  Or, open the first one I buy, then consider purchasing for investment later.  I recently broke open Parisian Restaurant and Pet Shop modulars to build as they sat on my shelf way too long.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!  I'm raring to jump in with two feet, but I suppose I'm still apprehensive.  It sounds a little too good to be true - that even used sets sell more than retail, if you just wait long enough after retirement before selling it.

Hi meowsmeowsmeows - I'm also from south of the cities, so I frequent the Lego Store at the Mall of America.  I kept passing it by for years without ever going inside, but I knew once I step in, my wallet would suffer.  Well, maybe with some select sets, my wallet won't have to suffer at all!

I'm still convincing myself (and my wife) that I could buy several of each and open one for myself.  If I am convincing enough, perhaps I can open a Parisian Restaurant and Pet Shop as well!

24 minutes ago, meowsmeowsmeows said:

Hello and welcome!

What part of Minnesota, if you don't mind me asking, as I'm from south of the cities?

Yes, there are many sets I buy a few of and keep one to open.  Or, open the first one I buy, then consider purchasing for investment later.  I recently broke open Parisian Restaurant and Pet Shop modulars to build as they sat on my shelf way too long.